Thanksgiving - music at Old Bethpage Village Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving - music at Old Bethpage Village Restoration

For those interested, a short video of music, blacksmithing, food preparation at Old Bethpage Village Restoration on www.newsday.com or www.exploreli.com.
    Eric Marten

Re: Thanksgiving - music at Old Bethpage Village Restoration

Gents-

I've done events at Old Bethpage Village in Long Island, NY and it is a GREAT place to hold authentic events. I know there is a mainstream event there in the summer, but last May the Gawd Awful Mess and the 119th NY held a Picket Post that was very enjoyable.

The only problem is that the site won't allow the use of the buildings because they are original. I wish that would change.

I wish this site would be used for more events/Camps-of-Instruction and educational living histories. Perhaps this could come-to-light in the near future? Imagine having an authentic event right down-the-road from New York City? Participants could stay a few extra days after the event and see the city if they wanted to.

All the best- Johnny Lloyd
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Following up on your OBPV comments.It offers a great deal of oppotunities! I did the first Picket Post with them a few years back...in November! The summer events have varied from Camp Scott (1861 camp of Instruction) to the 1863 Draft Riots, and there is the battle event each July.

I have ahd the opportunity of using the Church to conduct a period correct service, and it is a wonderful experience. I am not in the 119th but have worked with them for a long time...Any thoughts etc. ought to be passed on to Jim McKenna (who is the Park person) and Mark Adler, commander of the 119th...I figure they'd be interested...

AND whenever you are there, it is always a pleasure to listen to Eric Marten play the fiddle....he has even put out a CD.

Pete Bedrossian
      150th NY/3rd NC
      [FONT="Georgia"]
      Pete Bedrossian
      150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
      [/FONT
      ]

Comment

Pete:

Thank you for your kind words. I just finished my 25th year at the village, and I always push for more CW events. Say hello to your fantastic fiddler, Brody, for me. (I accidentally deleted all my E-mail addresses, including his) - I have a period violin case for him, and am looking forward to performing with him again.
        Last edited by eric marten; 11-26-2008, 06:00 PM.
        Eric Marten

Comment

Looks like a great place to spend a day just to visit, let alone participate in! This is going on my list of "historical places" to visit.

Andrew Gale
          Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
          Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
          Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
          Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
          Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
          Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
          sigpic

Comment

Eric:

Well, it wasn't hard to give ya credit!!! Brody is now majoring in Musical theatre a Penn state. He's still in the hobby, so I'll pass along your note to him...Hoping to make it down to the Village this year...May even brig the fife and tin whistle...

Pete
            150th NY
            [FONT="Georgia"]
            Pete Bedrossian
            150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
            [/FONT
            ]

Comment

Working...
            X