Incessant Beating of Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incessant Beating of Drums

I have wondered how often the field music was ordered to keep quiet so that the army would not give away its position. In this instance, they did not seem to be too worried about it.

New York Times, June 21, 1862:

"Wednesday, June 18, 1862. The movements of the rebels for the past three days have excited considerable curiousity among our troops. I say troops, for nearly all our me seem to have become acquainted with the fact that the rebels are endeavoring to achieve some plan, judging from the incessant beating of drums, continual firing of small-arms, and rapid marching from one to another portion of their lines."
    Will Chappell

Re: Incessant Beating of Drums

Would this have been when the Confederates were fooling the Federal Army on the Peninsula? I have learned to dislike McClellan for what happened there.
    Jim (cannoli) Taub
    24th Michigan Infantry
    [url]www.24thmichigan.org[/url]

Comment

Re: Incessant Beating of Drums

Originally posted by 33rdaladrummer View Post
      I have wondered how often the field music was ordered to keep quiet so that the army would not give away its position. In this instance, they did not seem to be too worried about it.

New York Times, June 21, 1862:

"Wednesday, June 18, 1862. The movements of the rebels for the past three days have excited considerable curiousity among our troops. I say troops, for nearly all our me seem to have become acquainted with the fact that the rebels are endeavoring to achieve some plan, judging from the incessant beating of drums, continual firing of small-arms, and rapid marching from one to another portion of their lines."
      Music was TACIT during the Siege of Yorktown April 1862. See Oliver Norton: Army Letters 1861-1865. As a bugler, Norton gave up his bugle and picked up a rifle during this period.

During the march in to Gettysburg on the night of July 1st 1863, Humphrey's had ordered his men to be silent, no bugles to be used. They bumped into the CSA picket line as an artillery bugler sounded the Halt (see Coddington's The Gettysburg Campaign).

I'm sure they were often tacit.....tactically we order our musician's to be silent until the first shot is fired....
      RJ Samp
      (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
      Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
      X