Obscure fife tunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obscure fife tunes

I posted this on another forum in response to a question about period fife music available online. I figured I'd post this here as well here to see if anyone has any additional information (or even cares). I pretty much gave up on this project a while ago.

Here is a link to the American Veteran Veteran Fifer, published in 1905 by the National Association of Civil War Musicians.

You can see the sheet music and listen to the audio in midi format.

Some of the tunes I have not been able to date to the war. One was definitely composed by a William McCarthy and published in 1883 (Post No. 2 G. A. R., I found his "fife and drum band book" at the library of congress). I have been researching the tunes in the AVF for a long time now, but come up dry on the ones below. They may be post-war. But the majority of the tunes you will find in the AVF are period, many were very popular indeed. I would be particularly interested if anyone could find a pre-1866 source for the tunes in bold, as they are popular with CW fife and drum corps. You may even recognize more that have appeared on Civil War fife and drum cds. Who knows if they are period tunes or not.

Post-war tunes in the AVF?
    --------------------------
    All Is Well
    All Take Tea
    American Eagle Quickstep
    Anna
    B.F. Hillikers Quickstep
    Major J. N. Bogarts Banquet
    C. E. Larrabees Lark
    Charles Wallaces Quickstep
    Civil War Musicians Quickstep
    Corn Cob Clog
    Denman Duncan's Drumbeat
    Dream Q. S
    E. A. Grows Quickstep
    Eddie Littleton's Libation
    Eden Quickstep
    Edna's Entracte
    Fannie's Festival
    F. Deitzman's Quickstep
    Fifth Maine Quickstep
    Firemans Quick Step
    Francis Murrays Musicale
    French'es Favorite
    George Brown's Bonvivant
    Get There Eli
    Grace
    Gray Eagle
    Henry's Halcyou
    Howell's Quickstep
    J H Ware's Quickstep
    J. L. Blatchley Banter
    J N Hamberger's Quickstep
    Jobe's Quickstep
    John Benjamin's Quickstep
    John H Stuntz Quickstep
    J. T. Burbank's Quickstep
    Kippy Smith's Favorite
    Langstons Quickstep
    Leo Murrays Musetta
    Leon Beall's Bonhomie
    M. A. Moon's Quickstep
    Maggie's Melange
    Mason's Quickstep
    Moulton's Quickstep
    Nancy Hanks
    Off To Charleston
    O.S & S.H. Quickstep
    Pernard Brown's Buffet
    Post No. 2 G. A. R.
    The Rambler
    The Recruiting Sergeant
    Ruth
    The Soldiers Lament
    Tallewan
    T.B. Jobes Jubilee
    T.E. Hills Quickstep
    Tom Brown's Burletta
    The Turkey Gobbler
    Twilight
    Union Quickstep
    Walters Quickstep
    Wild Goose
    Wm Davenport's Quickstep
    W. M. Larrabee Quickstep
    Will Chappell

Re: Obscure fife tunes

Hey Will, you check brass band music sources for some of these?

joe korber
    Joe Korber

oh so many things,
    way to much to list
    have a good one
    :wink_smil

Comment

Firemans Quickstep is a variant (somewhat simplified) of "The Philadelphia Firemen's Cotillion" by Francis Johnson (1792-1844), first published in 1822, and "respectfully dedicated to Members of the Fire Association". Johnson, according to research by James W. Kimball, was a black violin and keyed bugle player and leader of a nationally known all-black orchestra that toured the United States and Europe. The piece was re-published later in Trifet's Cornucopia of Music in 1888 as "The Fireman's Dance" The A parts are fairly similar, and the B part departs somewhat.
      Eric Marten

Comment

I have checked around in brass band music a little but never found much. Here's one reference. I wonder if Jari or some of the other brass band guys could track down the music for it to see if it's the same tune as "All is Well" in the AVF:

All's Well. 1847. Charleston, South Carolina. Sung or played after a toast to
        "woman," at a dinner celebration of The Fourth of July Association held at the Pavilion Hotel.
        Source: Charleston Courier, 9 July 1847, 2.

There is an account of a British band playing "I'm off to Charlestown" for British troops that were preparing to come to the aid of the Confederacy around the time of the Trent Affair (Bill Bynum of the Carolina Fifes and Drums and their cd liner notes have more info on this). Schott's British fife and drum book of 1861 includes a tune with that title, but it is completely different than the one in the AVF. I really like the one in the AVF, especially with the Stick tap beat from Hart that the Carolina boys play.

I did find original brass band sheet music for a Fireman's Quickstep. I do not remember where I found it but maybe it's the one mentioned here: http://www.frontierbrigadeband.com/K...hirl_Page.html. Again, it had the same title but was a completely different tune. Thanks for finding The Philadelphia Firemen's Cotillion, Eric!
        Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 12-03-2008, 09:07 AM.
        Will Chappell

Comment

Will:
          In case I wasn't clear, (as is often the case), The Firemans Quickstep on your posted list is obviously a variant of The Philadelphia Firemens Cotillion by Johnson (1822). The A part follows relatively closely, and the B part departs from Johnson's tune, but appears to be a derivative. If I were more computer literate, I would post the transcription.
          Eric Marten

Comment

You were clear, Eric. I probably made things confusing by refering to a completely different Fireman's Q.S.

We have

(1) The Philadelphia Firemen's Cotillion by Francis Johnson 1822

(2) The Fireman's Dance 1888

(3) Firemans Q.S. 1905 (AVF)

(4) Fireman's Q.S. from band books of 1st Brigade Band (of Brodhead, Wisconsin)

#1 and #2 are the same tune, #3 is similar to #1 and #2, and #4 is a completely different tune with the same title. Right?
            Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 12-03-2008, 10:48 AM.
            Will Chappell

Comment

Will:

#3, I'm assuming, is essentially the same Fireman's Quickstep as transcribed in Ralph Sweet's modern (1964) "Fifer's Delight", a variant of #'s 1 and 2. Even if they don't look to the eye as the same tune, as soon as you play them consecutively, you see they are the same tune. #4, I don't think I know what that tune is. If I find out any more, I'll be happy to post. As always, a pleasure talking to you.
              Eric Marten

Comment

Working...
              X