No announcement yet.

$200. Guitar Repros - maybe some left!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $200. Guitar Repros - maybe some left!!

Per prior discussions, a few of us have cleared out the inventory of the $200. - $250. RP-1 period-style guitars from an importer, Republic Guitars. These guitars are the same pattern (probably the same China maker) As the Fullerton Blackwood which is based on an 1856 guitar, but no inventory left of either it would seem.

But alas, as of this day anyway perhaps there's some of the RP-1's left if this site here is current, grab them while you can and pass on to us if they are really still available for purchase:

Note:These are not museum-quality reproductions but seriously playable new guitars that are closely correct for Civil War period appearance and size, except they come with steel strings and little phillips-head tuner screws that we should replace with gut (or fake-gut) string and slot-head tuner screws.

Dan Wykes
    Danny Wykes

Re: $200. Guitar Repros - maybe some left!!

Dan & All
    Having sold guitars, Martins alongside student models for six years there are some things to keep in mind. While it meets the profile of guitars of that period, less some hardware, etc, the materials and inherent quality for that price may inhibit your actual playability. For instance at that price you can be assured that for that price the builder spent about $70 in materials. Student guitars which I am familiar with sell for the same price, and within a years time and with indoor use typically the frets separate from the neck, the lacquer cracks as the poor cut top bends, and the neck twists to its natural position rendering it almost useless. Normally problems in quality begin to disappear when acoustic construction prices exceed $300 dollars. However the upside to this model may be its cost. If one should wish to field a guitar and not want to drop $500+ on it, this may be your best bet. The things to keep in mind would be a removal of the lacquer, and constant tension of the strings. Id love to hear some reports.
    Interesting post all and all.
    Drew Gruber
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

I've been waiting on a Republic Parlor for going on 8 months. The man I am buying it through (Trans-Pecos Guitars) went to school with the fellow that started up Republic Guitars in Dallas...so if he can't get one, it may be a while before we get one.
      Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
      Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Originally posted by ohpkirk View Post
        I've been waiting on a Republic Parlor for going on 8 months. The man I am buying it through (Trans-Pecos Guitars) went to school with the fellow that started up Republic Guitars in Dallas...so if he can't get one, it may be a while before we get one.
        Last May, I bought the last one known to mankind from Frank at Trans-Pecos. Gotta say, it's a beaut, plays wonderfully. At this point, all I have changed is the tuning machines and planks, substituting a "folk" version for the Kluson-style enclosed machines, and wiping off the logo from the head. Looks much closer to the period guitars I have seen but there is still a ways to go. Besides swapping out the screws as Danny mentioned, I have yet to convert the nut to accept nyl-gut strings. It's in the future but not a priority right now -- I'm having too much fun playing it.
        Lynn Kessler
        Co. C
        Chesapeake Volunteer Guards
        The Southern Division

Comment

Originally posted by Busterbuttonboy View Post
          Dan & All
          Having sold guitars, Martins alongside student models for six years there are some things to keep in mind. While it meets the profile of guitars of that period, less some hardware, etc, the materials and inherent quality for that price may inhibit your actual playability...Id love to hear some reports. Interesting post all and all. Drew Gruber
          Drew -

Having had several acoustic guitars (my everyday "ax" a Gibson Songwriter) and having done general maintenance and minor repairs on many more, this model, the RP-1 in particular, is uncharacteristically better than the mass-market guitars you speak of and is a real player, even out of the box. The RP-1 has a flat finish that is not unlike the appearance of natural unbuffed varnish, and open-geared tuners already. (Republic's higher end model, what Mstrs. Kessler and Corbett have, had a shinier finish and the enclosed tuners). A very nice lightweight hard case came with these guitars as well. All combined the reason a few of we reenactors grabbed them up for the price, instead of re-habbing an early 20th Century closet queen and the issues those have.

BTW I can now recommend Aquila Nylgut "Superior Tension" classical set for these guitars, but you have to understand that it will take many weeks before the strings finish stretching and become nearly as loud and brilliant sounding as the metal set was. I did modify the grooves on the nut to accept Nylguts.

I'd be really curious to know if anyone has tried actual gut/ silk-wrapped set and what we need to know about that. The Nylgut's have the correct appearance, particularly if you stain them a bit, so I'm sticking with that for now.

Dan Wykes
          Last edited by Danny; 12-25-2008, 03:20 PM.
          Danny Wykes

Comment

Maybe I am wrong here, and maybe not. I just don't understand why anyone would want to take a new "repro" and convert it to a second best when early 1900's to 1930's Regal parlor guitars are still quite available and are far closer to being period correct than today's modern offerings at nearly the same price.

Without having one of the newer parlor guitars in hand for side by side comparison I would be amazed if the necks even have the same period correct profile of the earlier parlor guitars.

My 1933 Regal parlor guitar has a neck as thick as a baseball bat reminisent of 1950's Gibsons and I doubt that many of today's guitarists could or would even tolerate it. It already has the slotted headstock and set up for nylon strings, correct bracings, etc.

There is nothing like having a real vintage guitar for tonal qualities. They are out there if you look and at the cost of less than a new musket. If one thinks of the capital outlay of authenticly crafted uniforms of period correct materials, accouterments and defarbed muskets a vintage guitar in the $500 to $800 range does not seem out of line, does it?

I spent less than $300 for my vintage Regal parlor guitar and out of the 52 guitars I have owned - some costing thousands of dollars - this one guitar ranks in the top five I have owned in terms of owner enjoyment, is more period correct, and I am not afraid to take it into the field, that is, unless there is a deluge of rain, of which no respectable musician would subject his instrument to.

I feel pretty good about progressing in my impression in uniform, equipment, and attitude, however, I'm sorry, I am just not ready to defarb a guitar.

Jas. T. Lemon
            50th VA Corporal

Comment

Originally posted by 50th VA Corporal View Post
              Maybe I am wrong here, and maybe not. I just don't understand why anyone would want to take a new "repro" and convert it to a second best when early 1900's to 1930's Regal parlor guitars are still quite available and are far closer to being period correct than today's modern offerings at nearly the same price...There is nothing like having a real vintage guitar for tonal qualities....is more period correct...Jas. T. Lemon 50th VA Corporal
              Mr. Lemon,

You're mostly right, in my opinion. Of course if you can find a playable 1930's small-bodied guitar for $200. it's definitely a good or better choice. Check out this very cool one German one on eBay right now at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110328712515 or see the photo attached.

But let's not overstate the case. The 1930's styles are not much closer to mid 1800s period in actual measured size and shape. When you state "Real vintage" it can only mean real and vintage to the 1930's, not the 1860's. In fact these little modern RP-1's are very close to an 1856 size and shape and they do too have the 12-fret clubby neck and wide fretboard.

The 1930's closet guitars, Regals etc., do have more authentic-looking tuning machines, but even those are not correct in detail. Their interior construction and bracing can sound better than these cheap moderns, but that's not a sure thing at all. At least it's not "a world of difference." Depends on the individual guitar, as you are well aware. These little modern guitars are reliably fine sounding for the price, that's all.

Neither type of guitar mentioned here is as accurate as an actual 1860's vintage guitar or a museum-quality reproduction, so both are equally "second best". Some here just can't spend more than $200. That's ok.

But it's all a moot point if they are no longer being sold. Better to look for a nice 1930's small-bodied guitar as you say.

Dan Wykes
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Danny; 12-25-2008, 09:28 PM.
              Danny Wykes

Comment

Dan,

Point well taken, and that is a fine example on eBay right now. One of my points is the consideration of defarbing versus one taking a long hard search before choosing a suitable replica.

I do remain to stand firm in my logic that is of the basis of this forum - the strive for authenticity. While the membership of this forum go to extreem measures and capital outlay to represent honest impressions of the soldiers they portray it just seems to me that the same basis should follow in this regard.

To cite the idea of the low cost benifets just strike me wrong in this forum with brogans costing nearly as much.

What prevents me from participting in any true authentic and immersion events, besides my age and the rigors of time on my body, is the cost of uniforming and accouterments - for which I have been slowly fine tuning over the last two years as I can afford it.

Kudos to those who can afford this aspect of the hobby and contribute to the knowledge base and bring truth not only to the public, but those of us wanting to continuely improve our own knowledge base and portrayals. Even those of us that are stuck doing mainstream events have reaped benifets of their efforts. And, I guess, makes us progressives a valid link.

I certainly would not consider taking my Regal to an authentic event, but I do feel a bit more comfortable to pull it out in the evening when the public has left. And, sadly, I know only few Civil War era songs for others to enjoy serving my own interests of playing classical type music.

Kind regards,

Jas. T. Lemon
                50th VA Corporal

Comment

Working...
                X