Gilded Bats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilded Bats

Again I am not trying to taint the true Civil War music but is any of the music that is period? I think there should be a traditional folk forum for those who are interested but are not sure to post to this section. Again if I am out of line posting here let me know.

Thomas J. Alleman
    "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Re: Gilded Bats

Originally posted by Thomas Alleman View Post
    if I am out of line posting here let me know.

If you are saying we need a forum here for 20th century style string bands like The Gilded Bats seem to be then it's definitely out of line.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

"Hell they aren't even old-tymey!"

The music played by the Gilded Bats post dates our interests by 15 years on up to the 1930's. While some of the songs may be 'traditional' in origin, the song books that I own that have them in them are pretty new when compared to the banjo primers that were being used mid-19th century.
      Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
      Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Tom,

You know as well as I do that the practice of gilding bats had not been developed in the 1860s, so, therefore, any reference to gilding bats, whether on this forum or in the field would not be apropos. If anything, it began to come onto its own in the 1890s, though the practice was harmful to both bat and gilder, and ultimately proved pointless as there was not a very large market for them.

Hope this clears everything up.
        Last edited by ThehosGendar; 01-02-2009, 12:37 PM. Reason: Comma patrol!
        Jason R. Wickersty
        http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
        Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
        Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
        Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
        Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

OK I was just trying to see if anyone was interested in this type of music, I will refrain from Gilded Bat and such non-civil war music, I just throwing it out there. I know that there needs to be more research into Civil War period and I would not want others to get the wrong idea about what is correct period music and this new type.
          Thomas J. Alleman
          "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Working...
          X