Minstrel Show movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minstrel Show movies

I was wondering how many of you have seen any of these biographical movies. I recently watched each of them and found them quite enjoyable. They are not super authentic, but they are interesting artifacts themselves. I especially liked seeing the minstrel show jokes & banter (Not PC by today's standards). Also many of the song renditions are beautiful, as well as the women.

Harmony Lane: The Stephen Foster Story
    I Dream of Jeannie (Stephen Foster)
    Swanee River (Stephen Foster)
    Dixie (Daniel Decatur Emmett)

If you haven't seen any of them and are interested in getting a copy, e-mail me at cwkepi@earthlink.net and we'll see what we can do.

Discussion?

Greg Starbuck
    Attached Files
    The brave respect the brave. The brave
    Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
    That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
    And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Re: Minstrel Show movies

A few years ago I found a copy of I Dream of Jeanie in the dollar bin at my local Hy-Vee. I found it interesting, as you say, as an artifact of the 1930's. The minstrel show scenes were pure 1890's style, unfortunately. At least the beauty of Foster's music was left intact. Frankly, I'm not sure Hy-Vee really knew what they were selling there. I'm sure many people would be offended by it, not without reason.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
    X