dug banjo tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dug banjo tensioner

Found this on ebay (Item number: 330306901755).

"Brass "STARS and BARS" Banjo or Drum Tensioner. Found 2 of these in a small picket post. Both with the pin in the hole on front. Found with landowners permission on private land."

I can tell you this is not from a drum. And anyone can tell you this is more like a federal shield than the stars and bars. It does look like a banjo tensioner. What do you banjo players/collectors say?
    Attached Files
    Will Chappell

Re: dug banjo tensioner

This is a banjo bracket and shoe.

Joe Walker

Comment

Re: dug banjo tensioner

Originally posted by 33rdaladrummer View Post
      Found this... "Brass "STARS and BARS" Banjo or Drum Tensioner. Found 2 of these in a small picket post...What do you banjo players/collectors say?
      Wil -

Looks like the style of bracket/six-sided lug nuts used on factory banjos made a bit after the CW, for which there are period ads (if I can find the reference I'll post it). The Federal / Union badge remained a popular decor motif for many items throughout the Reconstruction era.

Still, there were some independent, non-factory sources for banjos and banjo parts before the CW time - village carpenter/metalworking shops included - so it's remotely possible such hardware would be found on a soldier's instrument, but really, "found...in a small picket post"?

"Anybody seen Johnny?" ... "Nope, ain't back yet. Go figger...he went on picket, we heard a banjo pluck an' den the crack of a musket, and we ain't seen 'im since..."

Danny

p.s. if you go to the eBay listing, note the next part of the description: "photo taken with camera":p
      Last edited by Danny; 02-10-2009, 11:01 AM.
      Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
      X