Chord Chart for D-C-D-F#-A Early Banjo Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chord Chart for D-C-D-F#-A Early Banjo Tuning

I pulled out my banjo and was hammering around a bit..I haven't played in awhile and have forgotten some chord positions..does anyone a chord chart in the early tuning they could post ?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Rideout
    Tampa, Florida

Re: Chord Chart for D-C-D-F#-A Early Banjo Tuning

Chris, not sure about that particular tuning, but the Briggs Minstrel tuning (low bass) is dGDF#A, if you want to match that Antebellum tuning. In that case the chord shapes for modern banjo "C" tuning (gCGBD) will work, though of course several steps lower in pitch if you need to transpose to play with a guitar player. (The more common modern banjo "G" tuning chords won't work because of the difference in the bass string). I can provide a pdf of the modern "C" chords if you like.

BUT the fellas that seriously practice this fretless Minstrel style* say they don't think in terms of chords so much, they just point out that there are arpeggios that happen to match chord shapes, in the words of one eminent player of the style "chords just happen." Chords are best for strumming across all strings, a common modern technique which isn't done as much in the old period style.

Hope this helps.

Dan Wykes

* http://minstrelbanjo.ning.com/
    Last edited by Danny; 03-11-2009, 12:01 PM.
    Danny Wykes

Comment

Low Bass was what I meant.

I inadvertently put a C instead of G in the topic.

Chris Rideout
      Tampa, Florida

Comment

Chris -

Here then attached is a chord chart for that modern "C" tuning using the same chord shapes as that lower-pitched "Minstrel" tuning, even though Minstrel technique doesn't exactly call for chords. (In some of the old tutors there are a few "positions").

Again, I realize you know but for the benefit of others, to play with guitar, fiddle, concertina etc. there needs to be a mutual understanding of what actual key is working, transposed. Good fiddle players seem to be able to transpose on the fly...

Dan Wykes
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Danny; 03-11-2009, 12:00 PM.
        Danny Wykes

Comment

--------------------
          Last edited by Danny; 03-11-2009, 11:29 AM.
          Danny Wykes

Comment

Danny...

Even though we are no "fans" of each other online.....your willingness to help me is appreciated and a sign of care for the music first.

I respect that.

Thanks again.

CR

Comment

Working...
            X