Reenactment Fiddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reenactment Fiddle

I recently saw a photo of an acutal CW fiddle owned by a Capt. Cross of a NY regiment. He had carved his name, unit and a heart with his wife's name on it. I was inspired by Capt. Cross's fiddle to carve inscriptions on one of my old fiddles. It is strung with gut strings.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    Tim Krugman
    1st OVC Co. A Musician

"Without music, there could be no army"
    Gen. Robert E. Lee

Re: Reenactment Fiddle

neat! I got a fiddle a year or two that had been made during the war and on the inside it had "52nd Virginia" carved in to it. And it sounds like angels huming.

Comment

Originally posted by Company Fiddler View Post
      I was inspired by Capt. Cross's fiddle to carve inscriptions on one of my old fiddles. It is strung with gut strings.
      I hope you don't get "inspired" to do too much more to that old fiddle. Neat looking or not.
      Nathan Dodds

Comment

Thats a nice fiddle. I always try to take mine.(Doc Watson always tells me to) Although, I am not gonna do that to one of my 1860's fiddles. Nice pic.
        Cpl. Ryan Halsey
        Wampus Cats Mess
        Mossy Creek Mess-SCAR
        Breckinridge Greys
        Liberty Rifles

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your comments. While I do own two 19th century fiddles, this is not one of them. It has no lable so exact age is uncertain but I'm sure that it's age doesn't match its appearence. It was in very poor condition when I purchased it for the purpose of practicing luthier skills. It was in effect, a throw away instrument. After getting it back into playing condition, I desided to do the carving for use at reenactments. This fiddle has no where near the value or historical importance of my other violins and hence it made a good candidate for this application.
          Tim Krugman
          1st OVC Co. A Musician

"Without music, there could be no army"
          Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
          X