Confederate Eagle Drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Eagle Drum

This must be only one of four true Confederate eagle drums still in existance.

One is shown in Echoes of Glory, another in Elrod and Garafalo's book, and the crudest one can be found here:

[This article copied from the article archive of the website of Historical Auctions without permission, pursuant to the fair use doctrine. N...

All I know about this fourth Confederate eagle drum is that it is similar to the one in Elrod and Garafalo and is hopefully still at the Annmary Memorial at Brown University. I hope to get more information and post it here soon. Anyone with a digital camera live near Rhode Island?

There a couple of eagle drums at the MOC, but one is just a pre-war eagle drum that was used by a Confederate drummer, and the other was made by William Boucher of Baltimore and had additional artwork that was later added to the standard Boucher eagle. Neither of these drums was made specifically for Confederate usage.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 03-30-2009, 11:20 AM.
    Will Chappell

Re: Confederate Eagle Drum

Update:

Col. Rush C. Hawkins of the 9th NY Zouaves built the Annmary Brown Memorial and is buried behind the building along with his wife, Annmary. The drum was captured in 1862 along with some other Confederate gear. It would be interesting to see exactly what else is in the collection.

The curator of the military collections at Brown will be sending me measurements and more photos soon!

I am glad to learn that this drum is part of their permanent collection, although I wish it could be returned to Virginia, as the label inside reveals that it was was made in Richmond. If this drum was made by James Wright, then it is possible that similar drums were made, as Wright owned the drum manufactory in Richmond that produced the Confederate shield drum now at the MOC. I have attached a photo of the Wright shield drum.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 04-03-2009, 12:07 PM.
    Will Chappell

Comment

There are 3 drums on display at the Greensboro Historical Museum. Only one is a Union Eagle drum out of those though that was used by a Confederate in the 32nd NCT. The other two are definite CS with no illustrations. The really neat thing about the Eagle drum is the sling is an old drape looking material tied off with the rope from the drum.

Mark Berrier
      North State Rifles
      Mark Berrier

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to go check them out next time I'm down that way. It's true that Confederate drums were usually very plain, even crude sometimes, and when they had decorations, they did not compare to the beautiful federal eagles on factory-made yankee drums. The fanciest Confederate made eagle drum is the one in EOG, which I think was used by the 1st Florida.

I've attached the c. 1840 eagle drum used by a drummer in the 48th Georgia and the Boucher eagle drum that had the Blue Ridge Rifles banner added on top of the original factory decoration.

Now if you really want to see a crude Confederate drum, go here:

Now, this is not the prettiest drum we've ever seen. In fact, it may be the ugliest. But it shows ingenuity and determination -- classic ...

I handled this drum myself. It probably weighs at least twice as much as a normal drum of the same size. Someone thought it was the real deal and paid $2500 for it. You never really know about these things. There is a much nicer drum made out of a hollowed out log in George Carroll's book, so this method was not unheard of, but still very unusual.

I suppose with a little more documentation, it could have fetched $27,500 like the one at the end of this thread:

Attached Files
        Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 04-03-2009, 04:31 PM.
        Will Chappell

Comment

Looks like my guess was right. I just received the following information from Brown about the eagle drum:

"Confederate Drum captured at Minton, North Carolina, July 19, 1862. Label pasted inside reads: 'Wright and Bell, Confederate Drum Manufactory, Richmond VA.'"

This must be the same Wright that later advertised in the Richmond Daily Dispatch:

The Daily Dispatch: October 27, 1863.

Military notice

Drums, Drums, Drums. The subscriber has resumed the manufacture of Snare and Base Drums at his old stand, corner of Main and 10th sts, up stairs, and has on hand, ready for delivery, a number of Drums of both kinds. Ash Shells and Calf Batters, of superior quality; also, one fine Brass Shell Drum.

Jas Wright.

The Daily Dispatch: August 12, 1863.

Military notice.

To Regimental, Battalion and Company Commanders, and others, other of the Regular or Militia Service — The subscriber, being regularly taught and having been engaged successfully in teaching Drum Corps, would undertake the instruction of boys, provided twenty or more boys can he recurred. His mode of teaching is perfectly correct and can, in a comparatively short time, prepare boys to perform camp duty, learning them all the necessary calls, boats, etc., for the field camp. He can be seen at the corner of 10th and Main streets, up stairs. Also, several good Drums for sale.

James Wright.
          Will Chappell

Comment

I'm very happy to get these, but it's a shame the view of the eagle's head is obstructed by the rope, just like the first photo I initially found.

Here's the additional info I got from the curator:

Label inside is quite extensive with prices, request for prepayment, etc.

total height of the drum = 35 cm.

diameter of the drum across the skin = total diameter 41.5 cm. skin 41 cm.

height of the red hoops = 4 cm.
            Attached Files
            Will Chappell

Comment

Working...
            X