Civil War Drum Major

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Drum Major

How much spinning or twirling did the Civl War era drum major do in comparison to drum majors today? I'm look for a baton from that era, where should I look?

Jppard

J.M. Perry
    J. Michael Perry

Re: Civil War Drum Major

From Drum Taps in Dixie:

'Harry Marshall, our drum major, was one of the handsomest young fellows that ever led a drum corps down the line on dress parade; and was as good and pure as handsome. He handled his baton with a skill and grace of manner that would have captivated all the pretty girls of a town if we could have marched through its principal street. And when it came to beating a drum he was what the small boys of today would call a "corker." '

Try searching on google books for drum major and putting in 1800-1865 in the date field in advanced search. You might find some good references.

Salute (Standing in Line) and Salute (Marching in Review, &c.):

Still looking for a drum major's staff?

You might be able to buy a cheap one and replace the head with this:

Buying and selling American Civil War military antiques and earlier collectibles, reference examples of Civil War artifacts including uniforms, headgear, firearms, swords, tintypes and original art.

That way, you wouldn't have to worry about damage like you would with a complete original, but make sure the repro doesn't have a chrome ferrule because that would also have to be replaced or removed.

Keep looking on ebay. They are not on there every week, but eventually you will see one.

If you're really desperate you might also try searching on ebay.fr for canne de tambour major.

If you have money to burn, this can be had for $750:

Civil War drum major's baton with tassles and cord, approximately 48" in length. Just below the top brass ball there is etched in the wood "1 Maine". Quite a nice show piece and came originally with the Maine Artillery drum listed elsewhere on this site.

I've attached the photos of the staff and also a nice set of sticks and Soistmann carriage from the same site.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 04-07-2009, 09:11 AM.
    Will Chappell

Comment

Thanks, great information. The 750.00 is too rich for my blood.

J.M. Perry

Jppard
      J. Michael Perry

Comment

Liberty Hall was able to pick up an original on ebay for around 260 dollars. We do not use it very often but we have it when we need it.
        Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Working...
        X