Brass Musical Instrument Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Musical Instrument Repair

Looking for a reputable instrument repair shop capable of restoring mid-19th century brass musical instruments to playable condition. The term "restoring" is negotiable.

I have several brass horns in need of repair--some require more work than others. However, none would be considered seriously damaged. I'm particularly interested in having a John Stratton cornet (bell forward) and and OTS Eb bass restored first.

I have tried the usual sources, Robb Stewart among them, but have been unable to find someone able to complete the work in a reasonable amount of time (12-18 months).
    Jim Page

"Boys, Follow Me!"--Colonel William Bowen Campbell
    1st Regiment of Tennesse Volunteers (1846-1847)

"Weeping in solitude for the fallen brave is better than the presence of men too timid to strike for their country"--Motto embroidered on the flag of the 1st Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers and presented by the Nashville Female Academy (June, 1846).

Re: Brass Musical Instrument Repair

Originally posted by James A. Page View Post
    Looking for a reputable instrument repair shop capable of restoring mid-19th century brass musical instruments to playable condition. The term "restoring" is negotiable.

I have several brass horns in need of repair--some require more work than others. However, none would be considered seriously damaged. I'm particularly interested in having a John Stratton cornet (bell forward) and and OTS Eb bass restored first.

I have tried the usual sources, Robb Stewart among them, but have been unable to find someone able to complete the work in a reasonable amount of time (12-18 months).

How about Bob Pallansch in Falls Church VA?
    RJ Samp
    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

My father has done instrument repair for The Stonewall Brigade and has done museum pieces before.The only thing is that he does repairs for schools so this time of year he is backed up. so when do you need it back?
      This is the father- It's been a while since I've had the oppurtunity to do one. We have done several for the Stonewall Brigade. You can PM my son if you'd like. It would be in the fall before we could get to it.We are located in Harrisonburg,Virginia

Comment

We use Bandman in Altoona, PA. They've done a good job repairing (and in some cases rebuilding) our horns.

Comment

Still looking for someone to do this work. Anyone?
          Jim Page

"Weeping in solitude for the fallen brave is better than the presence of men too timid to strike for their country"--Motto embroidered on the flag of the 1st Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers and presented by the Nashville Female Academy (June, 1846).

Comment

Have you tried contacting these folks?

I once asked them for some photos of drums in their collection and found them to be very helpful and friendly. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck
            Will Chappell

Comment

Still looking for someone who can render high-quality repairs to 19th century brass musical instruments.

I have tried the usual sources, Robb Stewart among them, but have been unable to find someone able to complete the work in a reasonable amount of time (12-18 months). The 1st Brigade Band doesn't repair instruments that aren't part of, or loaned to, their collection.
              Jim Page

Comment

I'm not really around your neck of the woods, but I do however teach in the music field here in Ga. I am a music education major primary in percussion. I am posting because I marched drum corps for 6 years, and I still have all my contacts to the repair persons that the drum corps used while on tour. Would you like for me to contact a few of them and find out if they would be willing to try and help you out?
                Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                X