I Wish My Baby Was Born

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Wish My Baby Was Born

I love this song, it's very grim but it shows what everyone was going through during the war. To be honest the only time I haven't heard it at an event was in Cold Mountain and they sang the song extremely well.
    Pvt. Michael "Doc" Zembek

Chesapeake Volunteer Guard Co. E

"The Mud Pie Mess"

Re: I Wish My Baby Was Born

Is this even a period tune?
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I don't believe it is. T-Bone Burnett wrote that song under the name "Henry Burnett" for the Cold Mountain soundtrack. It's a good song, just not period.

Answers is the place to go to get the answers you need and to ask the questions you want
      Greg Swank
      49th IN Co. F
      Tanglefoot Mess

Comment

T-Bone may have written the version in the movie (though I've also read it was also director Anthony Minghella), but there's a beautiful, much earlier (1965) field recording from the late great Dillard Chandler of Sodom, NC which can be found in a ballad compilation from Smithsonian Folkways, Dark Holler. That version is also on Backroads to Cold Mountain, a compilation containing a number of songs that inspired the book and film (not all period-accurate, but worth listening to nonetheless). The Carter Family's "Carter Blues" is supposedly a version of the same melody as well. I have no idea whether the song actually existed during the Civil War though.
        Brendan Hamilton
        Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Working...
        X