Republic guitar 1856 pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republic guitar 1856 pattern

Apparently they are back as of July 2009, the Republic RP-1 guitars which are within 96% the dimensions of a mid-19th century Martin. Now they cost $350., so not the deal they once were, but compared to a full-up reproduction guitar at over $1000 still worth considering IMHO, being no more inaccurate than a post-1900 antique parlor guitar which is another path to reasonable-cost authenticity, except the RP-1 has no antique issues.

The RP-1 is a modern take on an 1856 pattern guitar, so the interior construction and tuning hardware are not museum-grade authentic reproductions, (i.e to de-farb a bit you replace all Phillips-head screws etc.) but a few of us with this model have found that these guitars can be strung with period gut/wire wound silk strings (or faux-gut strings) and they are still loud enough. (Ordinarily a guitar braced for steel strings is braced too stiff to pick up gut string vibrations very well).

I don't recommend this a best solution, just an ok solution for a reenactor's guitar that sounds and plays period -- while we save for a genuine reproduction. Keep or toss the idea.

Dan Wykes
    Danny Wykes

Re: Republic guitar 1856 pattern

The body proportions look good, but by the time you have replaced the bridge, removed the fingerboard inlays, removed the headstock decal and the soundhole label, replaced the screws as you've mentioned and put on a set of Nylgut (or similar) strings, how much have you now invested in this project? And correct me if I'm wrong, but nearly all of the purfling and rosettes I've seen on period instruments were herringbone or a variation, not abalone.

As you said, it's a start, and for someone willing to invest the time and $$$ it could be a decent instrument. Personally, though, for the $500+ I'd spend to purchase it and then get it into shape, I'd rather look for a more period-authentic instrument.
    Last edited by mehrsam; 07-23-2009, 10:22 AM.
    Mark Ehrsam
    Susquehanna Travellers
    York, Pa.

Comment

Washburn made an anniversary guitar that is of proper shape and peghead construction as well, the Vintage series R314K. http://www.washburn.com/acoustics/vintage-series/#r314k If I remember correctly, the Washburn comes with a mid 19th century styled (loosely applicable) case. However, it has the same problem as the Republic, which is a good looking instrument and a pretty good value for the money with a solid spruce top and rosewood back and sides. The Washburn has too much ornamentation on the fretboard, headstock and around the soundhole. I have looked at Martins that are made out of solid mahogany that are of the proper 000 and parlor shape with a slot peghead but those are in the realm of $1000.00 and I am just not willing to shell out that kind of green for an item as fragile as an acoustic guitar that I am going to put through the equivalent of a all weather conditions torture test.

For me, this thread brings up a very good question. As I do not cut corners with my impression on authenticity, what does a guitar player do? It is either shell out a ton of money for a guitar to destroy or shell out a little money for a decent guitar that is off as far as the authenticity standards I hold myself to.
      Last edited by mslaird; 07-23-2009, 11:49 AM.
      Matthew S. Laird
      [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
      Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
      [/COLOR]
      [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by mslaird View Post
        As I do not cut corners with my impression on authenticity, what does a guitar player do? It is either shell out a ton of money for a guitar to destroy or shell out a little money for a decent guitar that is off as far as the authenticity standards I hold myself to.
        Learn to play banjo. If you are an acomplished guitarist and know the tunes you can be playing in a couple hours.

Chris Rideout
        Tampa, Flroida

Comment

Originally posted by mehrsam View Post
          ... for the $500+ I'd spend to purchase it and then get it into shape, I'd rather look for a more period-authentic instrument.
          Mark -

I wish there was an authentic reproduction guitar available for $500. The only right answer is to obtain a full-up authentic reproduction from a qualified luthier who has done their research. As with any element of our impression, we spend what it takes if it's important to us (and to our wives). Some of the antique turn of the century parlor guitars are nearly correct for a mid-century, if you want to put your $500 there.

Matt -

That $750 Washburn Anniversary model I've investigated. It appears to have been built on the same forms as the Republic, both Chinese contract guitars made in the same facilities. Washburn markets theirs as a mid-nineteenth century anniversary knockoff (nice rope inlay binding!) while Republic only markets it as a parlor size guitar, no other claims. As for too much ornamentation to be authentic, there were some period guitars with ornamentation, if not the Martins.

Dan Wykes
          Last edited by Danny; 07-23-2009, 01:59 PM.
          Danny Wykes

Comment

Chris,

I knew that was coming but I expected to hear it from Carl. I am working on it. The problem is, every time I think about buying a banjo, Gibson calls my name and I cannot help it. The wife has done a pretty good job of preventing me from purchasing my much desired and drooled over Earl Scruggs, though. I have, however, found a few good repro banjos out there and I may just take your advice.

Dan,

I found out about the Washburn too late to take advantage of a model they made that did not have anything at all on the fretboard. It just had the abalone around the soundhole and that headstock accent on it. When they came out they were the R314K and the R319K. Now they just make one model and it has the fretboard inlays all over it.

Many thanks for starting this thread and for the responses, I am enjoying it and I had no idea the Republic existed until I read this.

This has been a pretty good dicussion.
            Matthew S. Laird

[/COLOR]
            [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Matt

Talk of Scruggs and repro banjo scares me.

For clarity I'm talking "low bass" tuned early banjo.

Fretless, skinhead, friction tuners, gut strings....

I know where a sweet Wunderlich (super accurate and good tone) Tack head is for $650

I'll turn you on to my secret: Nate Calkins

Tell em I sent ya from here....

I have one of those Washburn "Parlors" and it needs work has all the inlay and has been defarbed........if you really want one let me know.

CR

Comment

You're hard pressed to find a really good repro guitar. A few years ago, when I went to the NAMM show I looked all over the place for a vendor making them, thinking that would be the best place to find them. I found a few but they lacked quality. I did manage to get contact info from one company that was going to be doing a quality repro but I don't think they ever went through with it.
                Tom Backus
                Brown Bottle Mess
                Co. H 3rd Arkansas

Comment

Chris,

I appreciate it. I have seen Carl's banjo that he totes around here and I was impressed with it. I believe it is a Wunderlich. Wunderlich banjos were what I was referring to when I said repro banjos. Not the Deerings and some of the other brands that have made a half-hearted attempt at them. I will take a look at the folks you suggested, you have peaked my curiosity. Many thanks for the information.

Tom,

Did you go to NAMM in Nashville?

I thought about buying a kit from Stewart McDonald and just building one myself. I believe that they offer a parlor guitar kit and a 000 kit that might fit the bill fairly well if put together right. I am a fair wood worker and I am not too shabby with figuring out how to do stuff, but I am a bit apprehensive about building an acoustic guitar. They look rather complicated. So I am still waffling.
                  Matthew S. Laird

[/COLOR]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Pertinent to this discussion see the attached "closet queen", 1850s vintage.

See fancy inlays on the fretboard and around the soundhole after all, and fairly large original bridgeplate, so we don't unnecessarily rule out the Republic, the Washburn, or the Fullerton Blackwood* based on those variable details.

Guitars were not gov't issue at the time and we needn't hold them to an issue standard, same for banjos.

While we're on the banjo thing: See the close-up view of 5th fret area of this guitar as modified with a beveled peg hole, which appears was made early on in the life of this guitar, and a bit crudely. This instrument could be played banjo-fashion! (something I recall reading about in a period source but not trusting that it was actually done, until I saw this).

Dan Wykes

* btw - Fullerton brand is the one which claims the 1856 date for this same "reproduction" under different brands
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Danny; 07-24-2009, 02:59 PM.
                    Danny Wykes

Comment

Feast your peepers on this inlaid beauty...pic sucks sorry.

At the Smithsonian American History Museum:

Last edited by OldKingCrow; 07-24-2009, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Re: ...guitar 1856 pattern

Quick -

This fixer-upper is a deal if it can be got for under $200. It's eBay item 160355550365, seems to have been improperly stressed by steel strings but neck survived. Replace the missing frets and re-attach the bridge-plate, and only gut and silk-wound strings from now on and we have a passable yet playable nod to authentic, in my estimation.

Worst problem is it has no provenance as listed, but the guitar itself speaks well enough to 19th Century, maybe even mid-century.

If the auction is over, at least see the photos attached here for reference. Even if this guitar is a bit thicker in the bout than a typical mid-century would be; variations were common. Guitars were not built to a gov't pattern.

(Oh... there are two new RP-1's up for auction as of this date as well, but no longer at that $200 buy-it-now price)

Dan Wykes
                        Fat Neck Mess
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Danny; 08-13-2009, 04:21 PM.
                        Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
                        X