Words to drum and bugle calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words to drum and bugle calls

In Hardtack and Coffee John D. Billings gives us a description of a typical day in camp (Chapter IX). He is careful to list all of the different calls (especially those pertaining to the light artillery) such as Reveille, Stable Call, Boots and Saddles, etc. The really interesting thing is that he quotes the little ditties that the troops supposedly made up to follow the notes. I won't quote all of these, since probably 90% of us own the book, but Stable Call goes like this:

Go to the stable, as quick as you're able,
    And groom off your horses, and give them some corn;
    For if you don't do it the captain will know it,
    And then you will rue it, as sure as you're born. (p. 169)

I have never read of these drum and bugle call lyrics, and would be interested to hear if anyone else has seen them in other primary sources. For all I know, they could have predated the Civil War and were picked up by the volunteers. Also, does anyone know any that Billings doesn't list?
    Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Re: Words to drum and bugle calls

I think they are called "ditties." I'm sure someone has them around somewhere.
    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Working...
    X