Period Banjoes in Gettysburg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Banjoes in Gettysburg.

My pal Tim (in the center) had a great-grandfather in the 4th Michigan, so we stopped here. The tune is the Jake Bacchus Jig from Buckley's New Banjo Book of 1860. (The other banjo player is Greg Adams, one of the finest stroke style player around.)

This is at the monument to the 124th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment at Houck's Ridge near the Devil's Den. My great grand uncles Harrison and Charles Bull were in the 124th at Gettysburg. The tune is De Banks of De Ohio from Briggs Banjo Instructor, 1855.

edit- I called that first tune Jake Bacchus Jig when it is in fact Jake Bacchus Reel. We also play a Jake Bacchus Jig, and both tunes are from the Buckley 1860 method book. I uploaded this tune without even listening to it.

I get corn-fused about this stuff alot. Fact is, both Greg and Tim are more "by the book" than I am, even though I advocate the tutors and use them quite a bit. When we're playing in unison, any note deviations is most likely me. I can't stay with the "as written" version as well as Tim and Greg. I wish I could. Tim and Greg can play it straight or deviate, whereas I deviate most all the time.
    Last edited by Old Cremona; 07-27-2009, 11:06 AM.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Re: Period Banjoes in Gettysburg.

The original Power Trio!
    Mark Ehrsam
    Susquehanna Travellers
    York, Pa.

Comment

My young friend Kyle "Cuffie" Pretzl sings the old chestnut Mary Blane. Man, those bones sure do cut through the mix! He plays and sings quite well.

We're at the section of the day #3 Confederate lines where Pegram's Artillery Battalion was engaged.

Okay, here is Jake Bacchus' Jig. I think.:D

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Bravo ! Great job boys. I would love for That group of you to make a recording . I would love to listen while going to work.
        Rod Miller
        [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
        A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
        1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
        1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
        1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
        1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
        Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
        1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
        Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Rmhisteach View Post
          Bravo ! Great job boys. I would love for That group of you to make a recording . I would love to listen while going to work.

Yeah me too! They make some fine music!
          [FONT="Georgia"][B][I][U]Ken Pettengale[/U][/I][/B][/FONT]
          [I]Volunteer Company, UK[/I]

"You may not like what you see, but do not on that account fall into the error of trying to adjust it to suit your own vision of what it ought to have been."
          -- [I][B]George MacDonald Fraser[/B][/I]

Comment

The Congo Prince Jig.

from Briggs Banjo Instructor, published in 1855.

Comment

After the clips, there are links to some other good Gettysburg videos, too.

But wait, there's more! I'd heard about, but not seen, the Bueling circle eight method while playing Corn Shucking Jig. Now that I've seen it, I've got to try it. How many years does it take to get that smooth? Looked like he was reelin' in fish during one of them movements. I think it was the Briggs Medley video.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Excellent! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Wish I was there.
                Regards,
                Scott Dallimore
                14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
                Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
                -------------------------------------

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hey, Carl! Great videos! Looks like you all had a successful trip to Gettysburg. :) See you soon!

p.s. Maybe you could teach me a few lessons on the banjo next time I see you?? :D
                      Anna Allen
                      <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
                      [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Tim twiss is the man....I have learned quite a few tasty licks from his outstanding solo videos.

I just can't wait for my Wunderlich Tack Head I bought last week to get here !!!

CJR

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X