Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordonnance sur L’Exercice et les Manoeuvres de L’Infanterie 1831

Friends

Does anyone have access to a copy of the French 1831 tactics?

I understand that Scott's 1835 tactics were a translation of the French. I would like to know if Scott's (and Casey's) fife and drum music is taken directly from the same French manual.
    Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
    1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Re: Ordonnance sur L’Exercice et les Manoeuvres de L’Infanterie 1831

Try this downloadable pdf of Kastner's work on for size. French cavalry and infantry calls begin on page 333 (of the pdf document):

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I downloaded a copy of Kastner recently and was pretty amazed by what I found inside. Some the drum notation is pretty sketchy, as is Scott's.

You can definitely see where the American drumbeats were taken straight from the French. For example, The French drumbeat for To the Color is almost identical to the American version.

Also check out the Quickstep in Scott's and compare it to Quick Step for Drum Corps #7 in B&E. You should be able to find it in Kastner.

Speaking of foreign drumming, anyone want to split the reproduction costs on this?

Author Delarue, Jean
      Title Marches d'ordonnance fédérales <1809> pour fifres et tambours ; Eidgenössische Ordonnanz Märsche <1809> für Pfeifer und Tambour / Réunies par Jean Delarue.
      Musical presentation [Parties].
      Publisher Genève : Union Artistique, [s.d.].
      Material 3 livr. 7,7,7 p. ; oblong - 8°.
      Call Number Ma 3085

Will Chappell

Comment

Mr Lloyd

I have an original of the 1831 French manual and will compare to Scott, et al tonight. I can't read music but should be able to compare.
        John Duffer
        Independence Mess
        MOOCOWS
        WIG
        "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Mr. Lloyd

I haven't done an exhaustive comparison yet (and as I mentioned I can't read music) but Scott does not seem to have copied the 1831 Ordonnance. Scott has additional information and calls, speeds are different, the drum calls look completely different and only a couple of the bugle calls are similar. On the other hand the 1845 Ordonnance and Hardee calls all match except for being in a slightly different order in places and some minor translation differences - our "extinguish lights" is "estinguish fires" in the French for example. I brought both manuals to work and will do some more comparisons when I can sneak the time.
          John Duffer
          Independence Mess
          MOOCOWS
          WIG

Comment

I've attached a higher res copy of the page from Kastner that has the French drum calls from 1831. You might have to download it, then zoom in.

Most line up exactly with what's in Scott's. Compare Drummers' Call and Le Rappel aux Tambours, for example.

Here's Scott's:

Any chance you can scan those pages from the Ordonnance, John?
            Attached Files
            Will Chappell

Comment

Thanks Fellows

This is really great.

At first glance, it looks like Scott's came straight from the French.

There are all the 4 beat rolls, and the General and Assembly that don' t appear in any of the American Civil War period manuals.

(As a side note; the only other place I have found the French/Scott drum Assembly is in Moeller's 20th Century manual, in an easier to play form.)
              Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
              1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Comment

I'll attempt to scan this weekend. Though in excellent shape, it's still 178 years old so I'm not going to squish it very hard against the glass and it may come out a little warped. Someone will have to tell me how to post a PDF/TIFF here or else give me an email address to send to.
                John Duffer
                Independence Mess
                MOOCOWS
                WIG

Comment

What I do is use the copy tool in Adobe Acrobat Reader (the icon that looks like a camera) then paste into the Paint program that comes with Windows. Then you can save as jpg.

Thanks for scanning. Should be interesting.
                  Will Chappell

Comment

I have the 1831 Odronnance drum section scanned. I'm not sure how to display a PDF here but anyone wanting a copy can email me at jmduffer@bwsc.net. I'll scan the bugle portion shortly.
                    John Duffer
                    Independence Mess
                    MOOCOWS
                    WIG

Comment

Working...
                    X