X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harp Singing in Living History

Originally posted by Danny View Post
    Yes, we've all appreciated Terre's contribution. Hope he can post another gem or two occasionally.

Dan Wykes
    Uh, "Dan'l," I believe Terre is a woman.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cremona View Post
      Uh, "Dan'l," I believe Terre is a woman.
      No way to tell that on this site, Carl, but I believe I'll repair the post, thanks :)

Dan Wykes
      Fat Neck Mess
      Last edited by Danny; 10-01-2009, 03:02 PM.
      Danny Wykes

Comment

Once I sat down with some huge searchable database of materials collected from the U.S. during the civil war and typed in brief phrases from old folk hymns, such as "then loud for joy she claps her wings," or "vain world, adieu" and was amazed at the hits I got. These hits were both people mentioning a particular song, and also people to whom the poetry was so well known that it was woven into their everyday speech. I went on like this for some HOURS. I didn't keep records of what part of the country specific lyrics were familiar in, etc., and of course even if one can establish the familiarity of a particular song or hymn that way, there is no telling what arrangement, or even what specific tune might have been sung to those words.

At any rate, this technique could be useful for bolstering any arguments about a particular song.

And the way we know a song published in 1869 was written during the battle of Sharpsburg is that we have the diary of the young man who wrote it (or was it a letter?). I could find the specific quote I suppose if challenged. But basically if I wanted to present a song in a reeactment context I would try to stick to songs that were documented one way or the other to have been sung at that time and place, although publication is certainly not the only means of documentation. IOW, I would not push the envelope. There are still hundreds of wonderful hymns out there to sing even with that restriction. The only reason to have a young soldier trying to teach a group of other soldiers to sing the song he just wrote is that it would be tew kewl.

BTW, yes, I am a woman, but I am very used to being taken for a man on the basis of my name, so don't worry about that whatsoever. I have only found two other people with that name, and one is our very own Terre Lawson.
        Last edited by amity; 10-01-2009, 08:31 PM.
        Terre Schill

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SongToTheLamb/"]SongToTheLamb[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.shapenote.net/"]Sacred Harp.mus[/URL]

Comment

Hammered and Lap dulcimer

This might better be a post for the Sinks, no problem if it is removed to there.

But from what I've been able to find, dulcimers (hammered or lap) are just plain OUT as far as c/p/h, despite common use at generic Civil War reenactment or living histories, Sat. night balls etc. -- and bands hiring out as "Civil War" bands regularly use dulcimer.

Does anyone have any significant evidence that these instruments were even generally available or used even occasionally on the home front, let alone a military camp scenario?

For campaigners there is no issue, because there are no dulcimers in camp. But for the hobby generally this seems like low-hanging fruit for things that should be discouraged in the interest of moving the hobby in a more authentic direction over time. (Keep in mind the first reenactors in the 1960's were using sportcoats with the collars turned up, playing big Dreadnaught guitars picked Bluegrass style, so the hobby has moved over time).

Dan Wykes
          Danny Wykes

Comment

Re: Hammered and Lap dulcimer

"...everyman that shall hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, shall fall down and worship...."

Daniel III:10
            The term is Biblical. So is "Ark". I haven't found any reference to show up with either at an event.

Is this the Shenandoah - Jaguar skin trousers du jour ?

Comment

Danny,

You need to either get with the program or go somewhere else. The moderators are tired of having to come into this folder and straighten out the messes you make! This has gotten old and will not be allowed to continue.
              Last edited by JimKindred; 10-22-2009, 08:57 AM.
              Jim Kindred

Comment

Lap and hammered dulcimer

Any evidence these were available and used in CW camps or no?

Dan Wykes
                Danny Wykes

Comment

Re: Lap and hammered dulcimer

I searched google books using the keywords war and dulcimer and date of publication 1860 and 1865 and found this. Is this the answer you're looking for?

The New American cyclopaedia: a popular dictionary of general knowledge‎ - Page 664
                  George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana - Juvenile Nonfiction - 1861

DULCIMER, an ancient musical instrument, resembling, if not identical with, the psaltery or nebel of the Jews. The modern dulcimer consists of a small box, in shape a triangle or a trapezium, containing a number of wire strings stretched over a bridge at each end, and which are set in vibration by little iron rods or wooden sticks in the hands of the performer. It is now principally used by street musicians.
                  Will Chappell

Comment

Originally posted by 33rdaladrummer View Post
                    I searched google books using the keywords war and dulcimer and date of publication 1860 and 1865 and found this.... "It is now principally used by street musicians"...
                    Thanks. According to that 1861 dictionary then, street musicians played hammered dulcimer, an ancient form of instrument traced here to biblical times. As yet no indication there they were common enough to show up near Army camps, as banjo, fiddle, guitar clearly were. Hope we can get there though... it's a very pretty instrument well suited to CW tunes, IMHO. At the moment shall we place them in the same category as mandolins at the time - yeah they existed but not in popular use in the U.S. until long after the CW.

Lap dulcimers though... that less ancient instrument of Middle Ages origin (biblical reference to "dulcimer" was merely an English translation, a substitute name for an undefined stringed instrument named in Greek texts); still no period evidence that would place them anywhere near a CW Army camp in the U.S., while evidence of banjo, fiddle, guitar are common. Hope something turns up, also a nice sounding instrument for period tunes.

A small matter but no reason we can't look try to better understand what instruments were likely in common use by CW times.

Dan Wykes
                    Last edited by Danny; 10-23-2009, 08:07 PM.
                    Danny Wykes

Comment

Dan,
                      If there is hard evidence that either were found in camps, I have yet to see any. I have searched myself for the answer to that also.

The Hammered Dulcimer was primarily a parlor instrument, and the overwhelming majority were found in the mid-west. Michigan, Ohio and New York specifically. We know that makers in these states would market them in the southern regions until the war broke out.

With the Lap Dulcimer (Mountain Dulcimer), it too seems to have been primarily a parlor instrument whose beginnings were in Appalachia in the early 1800's.

The Carter House has a Hammered Dulcimer. When it actually 'took up residence' in the house would be neat to find out.

Interestingly enough, when I play the Hammered Dulcimer down South, it is the exception if I meet someone who knows what it is. Most all I meet know what a Lap Dulcimer is, but have no clue about that funny shaped thing with all those strings making all that racket!
                      Regards,
                      John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

Originally posted by 33rdaladrummer View Post
                        Is this the answer you're looking for?
                        Danny is quite capable of researching with exacting detail if he needs to prove you wrong. I personally I gained knowledge from his posts, but he is known for and has been kicked off forums (I have too for different reasons) for this same behavior....always on the topic of some farbism.

But for the sake of discussion. I have satisfied myself that the "dulcimer" did in fact exist well before and during the mid-19th Century in the US. There are known Northern manufacture of dulcimers and extant examples per the Smithsonian website.

But like any other discussion of things with Danny, a dulcimer, like Shenandoah and Jaguar skin trousers, was not P/E/C or widespread to any degree in the period from its complete lack of reference in known period writings and it is highly impractical and improbable that a dulcimer was found in the campaigning military ranks.

Someone playing a dulcimer on sutler row at a mainstream event is way down on the list of things to get itchy about.

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
                          ...I have satisfied myself...
                          Old King

Will you share your information then? I haven't found enough to either deny or support use of these instruments, as much as they show up at CW venues.

We've both now said this is a small matter. In the same category as, say, leather buckets. But as period style musicians it's ok to try and find out more so we can speak with authority on it.

Dan Wykes
                          Last edited by Danny; 10-24-2009, 12:49 PM.
                          Danny Wykes

Comment

MESSAGE FROM THE EXECTTIVE OF THE COMMONWEALTH, WITH ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTS, SHOWING THE MILITARY AND NAVAL PREPARATIONS FOR THE DEFENCE OF THE STATE OF VIRGINIA, &c. &c. MESSAGE. EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT, June 17, 1861.

ISSUES FROM RICHMOND ARMORY From April 1st to June, 13th, 1861.

Captain SHUMAKER—Richmond. Called for but not issued. 4 Six-pounder Brass Guns, 4 Six-pounder Carriages (complete,) 8 Sponges and Rammers, 8 Sponge Covers, 8 Trail Hand Spikes, 4 Lint Stocks, 2 Worms and Staves, 4 Port-Fire Stocks, 4 Leather Water Buckets, 4 Sponge Buckets, 2 Tar Buckets, 4 Prologues, 4 Gunner's Gimlets, 4 Priming Wires, 4 Thumb Stalls.

21st edition, 1998 Virginia - Militia History Civil War, 1861-1865. Confederate States of America
                            Show me a period dulcimer reference.

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
                              Show me a period dulcimer reference.
                              Dang, Chris, you beat me to it :)

Class III Ordnance Stores ("Artillery Implements and Equipments") include "Buckets, watering, leather."
                              Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Merged this with several of the past threads on dulcimer's that were eventually shut down. Looks like that caused this to be closed as well...
                                Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                                1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                                Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Working...
                                X