Drum Corps playing "O Carry Me Back"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Corps playing "O Carry Me Back"

Here are some more references to specific tunes being played by fifers and drummers that I've found recently:

'Saturday morning I left Winchester with our Drum Corps playing "O Carry Me Back to Old Virginny," and "Glory Hallelujah." The Union people applauded and the and the Rebels scowled.'

All for the Union: a history of the 2nd Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry by Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Robert Hunt Rhodes

The War in the Southwest. The Ninth Army Corps.

I didn't hear one band or drum corps play "The Girl I Left Behind Me," a very common tune when breaking camp in Kentucky. It was "The Man in the Moon," or "The Irish Volunteer," or something of that sort.

Philadelphia Press, Aug. 19, 1863

'The regiment had left home without any music, not even a Drum Corps. This was much missed, and the arrival on the 6th, of a Drum Corps, was hailed with delight; with it came 15 recruits. Later, this Drum and Fife Corps became the joke of the camp, it seemed to be of the vintage of 1776, its favorite airs were "Jefferson and Liberty" and others of that or older period, the leader was an odd sort, of the backwoods type, and received from the men the soubriquet of "Connecticut Pie." '

July 4th, 86th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, was properly celebrated at Camp Martin, Fort Gaines, Ten- nallytown, by the 71st Regiment.

The following program of exercises were gone through to the great satisfaction of all present. Captain D. C. Meschutt of Company D presided, and Colonel Martin and his staff sat upon the platform:

1. Opening prayer by Private Wm. Jeffries of Company H.

2. Music by Drum and Fife Corps, "Hail Columbia."

3. Song—"Star Spangled Banner."

4. Song—"America," by Private Wm. Jeffries, Company H.

5. Music by the Drum and Fife Corps, "Jefferson and Liberty."

6. Song—"Red, White and Blue," by Private Alfred B. Hall,

of Company C.

7. Music by the Drum and Fife Corps, Fancy Piece.

8. Reading of the Declaration of Independence by Sergeant

J. A. Lucas, N. C. Staff.

9. Music by Drum and Fife Corps, "Star Spangled Banner,"

10. Song—"Viva L'America," by Lieutenant Gregory, of Com

pany A.

11. Music by Drum and Fife Corps, "Hail to the Chief."

12. Oration by Private J. K. Osborne, Company G.

13. Song—"American Boys," by Richard Barnett, Company D.

14. Song—"Dear Old Flag," by Richard H. Barrowe, Com

pany H.

15. Music by the Drum and Fife Corps, "Yankee Doodle."

16. All sing "Old Hundred."

History of the 71st Regiment, N. G., N. Y., American Guard

"We have still a striking remnant of one in a soldier's funeral, which, with the
    roll of the muffled drum, the measured pausing step of the deceased's comrades, rendered more impressive by numbers, is one of the most solemn sights in the world. Hark ! 'tis the report of the guns fired over the grave ! — then strikes up the drum and fife, to the tune of "Go to the devil and shake
    yourself."

Canterbury in the olden time - Page 34
    by John Brent - Canterbury (England) - 1860 - 117 pages
    Will Chappell

Re: Drum Corps playing "O Carry Me Back"

Will:

Thank you for those great references. The real surprise for me was "Go To The Devil And Shake Yourself", a lively tune that I love, but never imagined it as something appropriate for a funeral.
    Eric Marten

Comment

Eric,

According to Bruce and Emmett's drum and fife manual from 1862, a lively tune is to be played after a military funeral, and they say that "Merry Men Home from the Grave" is the most appropriate. I am guessing for this British soldier's funeral they chose "Go to the Devil." I can't see why anyone who would want a tune with that title played at his funeral!

This makes me wonder how widespread the tradition of playing "Merry Men" at a funeral was. The only places I have seen it mentioned are in Bruce and Emmett's manual and Strube's 1869 manual. I am wondering if this was just a New York tradition (Strube and Bruce both served in NYSM regiments). Also, Strube seems to have copied some material from Bruce so it is possible that Bruce or Emmett actually composed the tune, just like they composed other Camp Duty pieces such as the Prussian reveille.

"Merry Men Home from the War" is also in the 1905 American Veteran Fifer and was donated by a New Yorker named Larrabee.

I have found other references to lively airs being played after funerals by drum corps but no mention of Merry Men.

Fiddler's Companion, which is usually a great resource, only has B&E listed as a source for Merry Men.
      Will Chappell

Comment

This also shows something I noticed many years ago, that they were commonly called Drum and Fife corps (or just Drum Corps, whether they had fifes or not) not Fife and Drum corps. One more example of how the living tradition of New England fifing and drumming influences our interpretation of history today.

Joe Whitney
        2nd SC String Band
        Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
        Md Line Field Music

Comment

"The music. in 6th Ala gave us some good perform. tonight. Kettle drum, bass & a fife, best drummer ever heard. Playd Devil's dream as fast as a fiddler & splendidly."

Will, my great, great grandpappy, Elijah S Davis, was enlisted as a musician in Company C (later Co I), 6th Alabama Infantry, in Wilcox County, Alabama in 1861. He was soon changed over to an infantryman.
          Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Gil,

It would be interesting to learn why that happened. I wonder if the 6th Ala. had both a regimental band and a drum corps in 1861. The musicians in the drum corps did not lose their jobs as easily as the bandsmen.
            Will Chappell

Comment

Working...
            X