This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• babylon has fallen

Does any one know of the song " Babylon has fallen ( to rise no more)". I've found it was in the scard harp with music by W.E.Chute C.1878 but in other links it says the words are "traditional", and to confuse my search there is a vertion by henry work (?) and various Reggae artists.
    I first heard the song when I was involved in English civil war reenacting in the 80s:o, great song to sing as you walk in to battle.with just the drum:D.
    I have found the song on you tube being sung from the sacred harp, I just wondered if there was c/w tune for it.
    John Laking
    18th Mo.VI (UK)
    Scallawag mess

Re: babylon has fallen

I know that the '97th' Regiment String Band recorded a 'Civil War' version of this , but I don't know if the lyrics in their rendition are period or not, I always thought that they were.
    Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

At least you can document the Henry Work Civil War version to an 1863 publish date:

It's in a folio of Union-leaning songs written for Pianoforte.

Dan Wykes
      Danny Wykes

Comment

Thanks guys, thease are the lyrics I know http://www.mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=415
        John Laking
        18th Mo.VI (UK)
        Scallawag mess

Comment

"Babylon is Fallen" is just a phrase from the Bible, and you can bet there have been MANY pieces of music by that title over the millenia. Be careful not to confuse them.

The Chute words I would bet are from 1878, because the people who do the editing on the Sacred Harp know their stuff pretty well. The tune that goes with those words is apparently a set piece, so from the same date.

In general, each piece of poetry has a specific meter, for example in the Sacred Harp's Babylon is Fallen it is 8s7s (8 syllables in the first line, 7 syllables in the second, and so on), and you can sing those words to any piece of music with that same meter. ('Meter' is not the same thing as 'time signature.') That is what was done in the period, too.
          Terre Schill

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SongToTheLamb/"]SongToTheLamb[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.shapenote.net/"]Sacred Harp.mus[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by riptailedroarer View Post
            Thanks guys, thease are the lyrics I know http://www.mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=415
            Search the first line in google books. There are several hits for the same words in songbooks going back to the very early 19th century.

Hank Trent
            hanktrent@gmail.com
            Hank Trent

Comment

You are right, Hank. I just checked and it is only the tune that is 1878. My bad.
              Terre Schill

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SongToTheLamb/"]SongToTheLamb[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.shapenote.net/"]Sacred Harp.mus[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow
                ...The Copyright was issued August 1864.....so are you square to play it at an 1863 event...

For the Civil War version sheet music, it was issued in1863. Then, as now, applying for Copyright was all that was necessary to protect it pending formalities.

Dan Wykes
                Danny Wykes

Comment

I hate "Babylon is Fallen," but sure enough it's ACW and it's 1863:

Henry Clay Work (October 1, 1832 – June 8, 1884) It is fitting that one of America’s greatest composers of the Civil War era was born into a heroic (although humble) family. The young boy was to follow in his father’s footsteps as a dedicated abolitionist, pouring his efforts into the cause of ending slaveryContinue reading

Also:

http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/lo...0/default.html
                  Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

The first site has a publication date of 1863 and the second site has an issue date of 1863.

Even today copyright can follow publication. You send the Library of Congress a couple copies of your book, sheet music, or whatever and then they process it. The process isn't instantaneous now, and I imagine the music division (or clerk) was inundated with stuff back then.

I can't say how widespread it was, but Work's stuff got around. "Marching Through Georgia" couldn't have been written until the beginning of 1865, but by the time of the Grand Review Sherman was already sick of it.
                    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

The August 17, 1863 edition of the New York Times had the following ad listing three new songs:
                      Just published by Root & Cady.
                      BABYLON IS FALLEN. Henry C. Work. Price 25 cents.
                      This is the sequel to Mr. Work's "Kingdom Coming," and is we think, destined to become equally popular...

For sale at all the Music Stores, or may be obtained by inclosing marked price to ROOT & CADY, Chicago.
                      It's from ancestry.com by subscription, so I can't post a direct link to the image of the page. :( Edited to add, if anyone already has a subscription, this link might work.

I expect the sheet music that they're refering to would have looked like this. Hope that's a permanent link. If not, search here for the title.

That sheet music includes the words, but appears to have the same tune as the instrumental sheet music that Danny posted.

The words clarify that this tune wasn't meant to be for the hymn of the same name. Just as the publishers say, it's a sequel to Kingdom Coming, and is a similar comic dialect song, this time about the USCT.

Hank Trent
                      hanktrent@gmail.com
                      Last edited by Hank Trent; 11-05-2009, 12:13 PM. Reason: add link
                      Hank Trent

Comment

Read Babylon Is Fallen! poem by Henry Clay Work written. Babylon Is Fallen! poem is from Henry Clay Work poems. Babylon Is Fallen! poem summary, analysis and comments.

Babylon Is Fallen! - Henry Clay Work
                        Don't you see de black clouds
                        Risin' ober yonder,
                        Whar de Massa's old plantation am?
                        Neber you be frightened,
                        Dem is only darkies,
                        Come to jine an' fight for Uncle Sam,

Look out dar, now!
                        We's agwine to shoot!
                        Look out dar, don't you understand?
                        (Oh, don't you know dat)
                        Babylon is fallen!
                        Babylon is fallen!
                        An' we's agwine to occupy the land.

Don't you see the lightnin'
                        Flashin' in de canebrake,
                        Like as if we's gwine to hab a storm
                        ?
                        No! You is mistaken,
                        'Tis darkies' bay'nets,
                        An' de buttons on dar uniform.

Way up in the cornfield,
                        Whar you hear de tunder,
                        Dat is our ole forty-pounder gun;
                        When the shells are missin',
                        Den we load wid punkins,
                        All de same to make the cowards run.

Mass was de Kernel
                        In de Rebel army,
                        Eber sence he went an' run away;
                        But his lubly darkies,
                        Dey has been a-watchin',
                        An' dey take him pris'ner tudder day.

We will be be the Massa,
                        He will be the sarvant,
                        Try him how he like it for a spell;
                        So we crack de Butt'nuts,
                        So we take the Kernel,
                        So the cannon carry back de shell.
                        Rod Miller
                        [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                        A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                        1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                        1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                        1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                        1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                        Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                        1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                        Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

They published it before it was copyrighted ?
                          Not unusual, Chris. It's similar to patents; think of Gibson P.A.F. (Patent Applied For) humbuckers. They sold 'em before the patent was granted.*

Dan Wykes

*As we've noted on the thread before, by the time of the Civil War the concept of popular music marketing and mass distribution was fully established. If the music was based on a topical newsworthy item (death of Ellsworth, a battle or whatever) the time from writing to publish and distribution was weeks, not months or years - a big profit motive. You wouldn't wait until the Gov't granted the paper, because you were protected retroactive to the point you applied.

I'm no historical lawyer at all, that's my understanding and anyone please check me on that. I do know that today an author doesen't even have to apply, because copyright is implied even without indicating so. Especially if you merely mark it with a "(c) the year Your Name". Then only if it's challenged, you have first permission to apply for to register your claim, and only then do you have to pay $$ to have it approved and registered. That's intended so that budding authors aren't burdened financially but still are protected where it counts.
                          Danny Wykes

Comment

The topic being Copyright, not Patent, that particular CW version of "Babylon Has Fallen" was issued in 1863, while apparently the copyright was not approved and recorded til many months later. I wonder if folks getting the sheet music waited until 1864 to play it?

But thanks for the patent law advice. Gibson was apparently criminally negligent in marking and selling their humbuckers "Patent Applied For", and criminal as well any manufacturer who sells products with a "patent applied for" or "patent pending" mark on it. Who'd a-thunk it? :)

Dan Wykes
                            Last edited by Danny; 11-05-2009, 05:28 PM.
                            Danny Wykes

Comment

Lets apply the standard of the A/C to it...So at best it seems to limited to late war...
                              ? Nobody's promoted use of the 1863 version before late war anyway. But whatever. If someone must have a tune of that name there are earlier versions.

Dan Wykes
                              Last edited by Danny; 11-05-2009, 06:13 PM.
                              Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
                              X