Welcome Home Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Welcome Home Again

The account mentions Scottish, but it doesn't mention the 79th by name. The division to which that regiment belonged logged some serious miles during the war as it was involved in several different theaters. Lord forgive me for suggesting it, but the Scottish unit mentioned could be some other regiment on the march.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Yes, but how many were called "Highlanders"? The 79th's original name was the "Highland Guard" (taking both their regimental number, name and tartan from the 79th Cameron Highlanders of the British Army), but you Scotchophiles out there would know better if this term was commonly used to describe other Scottish AoP units.

Joe Whitney
      2nd SC String Band
      Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
      Md Line Field Music

Comment

Originally posted by 33rdaladrummer View Post
        Thanks, Don. If you have free access a scanner, please post Thompson's Q.S. if you have a chance.

Finally,

Sorry it took me so long. But here's a scan of "Thomson's Quick Step" from the Edward Murphey manuscript of 1790. My apologies as I misspelled it in my earlier post as Thompson's with a "p". In the manuscript it doesn't have a "p" so whether it's actually without a "p" or Murphey just misspelled it himself I suppose we'll never know. In any event, you can see a pretty good resemblance of this tune and "Adam Bell's March." I wouldn't have any doubt that Adam Bell's is a later variation of this tune.

Don

PS Never posted a pic before, so let's see if this works!
        Attached Files
        Donald Heminitz

"It’s always nice to hear good music played well." — John C. Moon

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to scan this, Don.

Sounds a lot like Adam Bell's and is easier to play for us drummers who try to fife.

Now somebody find me a period drumbeat that sounds like the 20th century Adam Bell's drumbeat that just about everyone plays. You'll be about as likely to find an electric guitar made in the 1860s.
          Will Chappell

Comment

Working...
          X