Bass drum slings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass drum slings

These were sold with a late 19th century drum on ebay. There is a leather one of the same design in Elrod and Garafolo's book and there is another webbing and leather one that has been for sale for quite some time now on ebay. I wonder if this style of sling can be documented to the war. Seems like it would be relatively comfortable for a period sling, but the drum would ride lower than is typically done these days. The straps go under the drummer's arms, cross around the back, and come back over the shoulders.
    Attached Files
    Will Chappell

Re: Bass drum slings

Friends

I had Tom Smith at Tom Smith's Cavalry Equipment make me a leather copy of the bass sling in Garafolo's book.

He also made a leather over the shoulder snare sling copied from an original.

He does very nice work and has fast turn arounds

Attached Files
    Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
    1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Comment

Allen,

Could yo share pictures of the original slings you speak of please?
      Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Paul

After looking at all the over the shoulder slings that I could find in CW photos, none showed the snap connection well. There also does not seem to be much consistency in these non regulation slings...different widths and materials

I found this antique pictured on the net and had Tom copy it. I don't know about the "Confederate" label..or even whether it is an 1860s original, but it is the best that I have found to copy

Not all of us can afford to spend more than a grand on an old drum sling but we do owe eBay seller brentsantiquesinc ( 1567) (eBay item no. ...
        Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
        1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Comment

Working...
        X