Pete William's Dance Hall.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete William's Dance Hall.

I've run into Pete Williams twice in the last 22 hours and it has really piqued my interest in him and his establishment. The first sighting was in chapter 6 of Tyler Anabinder's excellent "Five Points, The 19th Century NYC Neighborhood That Invented Tap Dance, Stole Elections, and Became the World's Most Notorious Slum. I quote page 198-99--

"Of the many dance halls, one--Pete William's place--became by mid-century a virtual city landmark. A tourist believed that he "had not seen New York city unless he had visited Uncle Pete's," located at 67 Orange Street just south of Bayard. The establishment's fame dated back to 1842, when Charles Dickens featured the saloon--then called Almack's--in American Notes. ...described (Williams) as "a middle-aged, well-to-do, coal-black negro, who has made an immense amount of money from the profits of his dance-house--which, unfortunately, he regularly gambles away at the sweat-cloth of the roulette-table as fast as it comes in. He glories in being a bachelor...is a great admirer of the drama," and owned a team of fast horses that he loved to race. "

"Pete William's basement..."looked very clean and beautiful. It was a spacious room with a low ceiling, excessively white-washed, nicely sanded, and well-lit, and the black proprietor and his 'ministering spirits' (literally fufilling their vocation behind a very tidy bar) were well-dressed and well-mannered people." But it was the mixing of blacks and whites on the dance floor that shocked well-to-do visitors. "Several very handsome mulatto women were in the crowd...and a few 'young men about town,' mixed up with the blacks; and altogether it was a picture of 'amalgamation,' such as I have never before seen." "

"..."And now the orchestra strikes up 'Cooney in de Holler' and the company 'cavorts to places.' " As the dancing progressed and the musicians picked up the pace, the passion of the dancers became far too palpable. "The spirit of the dance is fully aroused," observed Reverend Pease. "On flies the fiddle-bow, faster and faster; on jingles the tambourine 'gainst head and heels, knee and elbow, and on smash the dancers. The excitement becomes general. Every foot, leg, arm, head, lip, body, are all in motion..." "

A picture on page 198 from the Feb. 18, 1860 New York Times Illustrated News shows a dance at Pete Williams's with a banjo player and a fiddle player providing the music. It is attached below.

The second sighting comes from Frank Converse's Old Cremona Songster, pub. 1863, page 13, "Comic Quartette," entitled "Pete Williams."

"Old Pete Williams is dead and gone,
    We ne-er shall see him mo-r-e,
    He used to wear an old grey coat,
    all buttoned down be-fore."
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Old Cremona; 12-28-2009, 11:26 PM. Reason: erudition
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Re: Pete William's Dance Hall.

Carl:

Thanks so much. That is a wonderful description and illustration. I've never seen that before. Thanks again so much for posting it.
    Eric Marten

Comment

The site of Pete's, 9:39 this morning.
      Attached Files
      Marc A. Hermann
      Liberty Rifles.
      MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
      Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Does anyone know when Anthony Street, Orange Street, and Cross Street were renamed Worth, Baxter and Mosco streets? And why?

I kinda like the original names. Frank Converse wrote a bully banjo tune called Anthony Street Reel.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cremona View Post
          Does anyone know when Anthony Street, Orange Street, and Cross Street were renamed Worth, Baxter and Mosco streets? And why?

I kinda like the original names. Frank Converse wrote a bully banjo tune called Anthony Street Reel.
          Looks like around the 1850s (with Cross becoming Park then, before later becoming Mosco). They were complaining about it in 1859 (bottom of page) and 1860.

Here, Baxter, Park and Worth show up as early as 1855 but Anthony and Orange are mentioned in the same publication, apparently in the transition period.

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@gmail.com
          Hank Trent

Comment

Mosco Street is the newest of the group, dating to 1982 in honor of Frank Mosco, a community leader. There's only one block of the street left, the rest having been taken over by the park. One of the pedestrian cut-throughs in the park basically traces the route, though.

Here's an overlay I did many years ago that shows what's what:
            Marc A. Hermann
            Liberty Rifles.
            MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
            Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Working...
            X