Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banjo Head Words

Hey all,

I have used the search engine and much to my dismay...this is (to the best of my knowledge) a subject not yet touched on.

To any of you fine banjar collectors or enthusiasts,

I would welcome any of your photos or input with regard to common writings, stencilings, or whatever on the heads of banjos. A gentleman at the 147th Gettysburg had a gourd banjo for sale and it had "Dis Banjar Heals De Soul". Granted, it was a repop, he said that he got the idea from an original.

Thanks to any input. Positive or negative.

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached
    The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Banjo Head Words

Are you thinking about purchasing this gourd or just wondering about authenticity of writings in general?
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Gourd banjos make the Baby Joel Walker Sweeney cry.

CJ Rideout
      Last edited by OldKingCrow; 07-08-2010, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Mr. Tackitt,

I already have a minstrel banjo. I was just giving an example as to what I was looking for. Phrases...words...drawings...pictures of banjos with writings or stencils on the head. Things like that.

I know that writings are authentic just as I know that writings on snare and base drums are authentic. I was just looking for examples.

Thank you for your interest.

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached
        The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Just narrowing the search. I haven't noticed any with wording, but then again, I wasn't looking. Here's a link worth reviewing : http://www.banjodatabase.org/ You might find an example or two there.
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Hampton -

If you could find one, would you prefer a cleverism like the one you saw "Dis Banjar Heals De Soul" or would you prefer a Union or Secessionist sentiment?

I suspect that like every other artifact from that time we'd find one with the soldier's name and / or unit on it. At least that's PEC for every other type of item carried by a soldier if you can't source otherwise (keeping in mind that carrying a banjo isn't PEC to begin with based on only occasional evidence of it).

Dan Wykes
            Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
            X