No announcement yet.

How do I tie a rope tension snare drum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I tie a rope tension snare drum?

I did a search but could not find anything on this subject. I can't believe I'm the first one to ask.
    After "stringing" my son's drum, I came across a diagram showing how to tie a pig tail knot. The diagram wasn't that clear so I thought I'd start over from scratch. Does anyone have a link to illustrations of the proper technique of roping a snare drum, from start to finish?
    Thanks in advance,
    G
    Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
    9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
    On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Re: How do I tie a rope tension snare drum?

Do you have an eye splice in the rope at one end? If you don't, that is step one.

Does it have calfskin or plastic? The reason I ask is you have to exercise more caution in tightening the ropes with skin heads to keep the tension even to avoid overstretching the skin on one side. With plastic you can afford to be more wreckless.

The pigtail is the very last step before braiding the excess cord for the "drag rope".

For plastic, it is (1) eye splice (2) rope loosely (3) tighten (4)pigtail (5) drag rope

For calfskin, it is (1) eye splice (2) soak/tuck skins if necessary (3) rope loosely (4) tighten carefully (5) pigtail (6) if skins are wet, let dry overnight and repeat steps 4 and 5 (7) drag rope

The explanation of the whole process can be pretty detailed. Which parts do you need help with?
    Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 07-23-2010, 08:10 AM.
    Will Chappell

Comment

Thanks for your help, Will,
      Calfskin heads, so I will be careful. No eye splice yet, which was my main problem. Obviously that is on the tail end of the rope, which might be why the diagram I saw looked confusing. Shown here: http://www.fifedrum.org/drums/pig.shtml
      Where do I want the pigtail to end up? I assume the back side of the drum so the eagle side is always visible, but does the pigtail sit to the left side or right side of the left knee? That would determine my bottom starting hole, passing up and down through the tugs each way, tightening the slack as I go until I end up at the splice again, pull tight, and pigtail knot it off. The excess rope should weave around the drum once and then be braided into a carry strap, which is different from the sling. Is that basically it? Have I gotten anything wrong?
      Does the style of the carry braid have a specific name? I've seen a few "How to" youtube videos on how to make different rope chain braids.
      Again, thanks for the assist.
      G
      Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
      9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
      On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Comment

If the eye spice is too difficult to do, a tight bowline knot was probably resorted to by more than one novice drummer, as it accomplishes the same goal, just not as prettily.

Final pigtail knot is usually on the left side while carrying the drum (right side while facing). I've seen odd and poor substitute knots on original drums. Amazing how perfect we try to be in renacting.

The carry strap/carry braid you mentioned is the same as the drag rope Will mentioned. The braiding method is called the Chain Sinnet (a.k.a. Monkey Braid), which is basically make a loop in the rope, twist it 180 degrees, make another loop (no need to twist it this time), stick it through the 1st, pull it tight, make another, stick it through the 2nd, and so on. To end it, don't make another loop, just stick the end through the last loop and pull tight.

Add or take out loops to get just the right length where the drummer can put their arm through the rope and the drum sits on their shoulder without bouncing or sliding around on the march.

If you want to entertain small children, make a length of braid, grab both ends and pull pard. The entire chain instantly turns back into a straight length of rope. They'll be amazed!

Joe Whitney
        2nd SC String Band
        Liberty Hall Drum & Fife Corps
        Last edited by joewhitney; 07-24-2010, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Also try to put the pigtail immediately to the right of the snare bed. In the case of no snare strainer, this makes it easier to adjust the snares because this rope "triangle" will be slightly looser than the others no matter how tight you make the pigtail. If you do have a strainer, you'll also get a better sound from the snares for the same reason if you put the pigtail immediately to the right of the snare. Similarly, on modern rod tension drums, drummers will sometimes loosen the lugs a little around the snares.

Every once in a while I'll try to get the pigtail too tight and break the rope. Don't twist too tight with hemp rope.

You also mentioned that the "excess rope should weave around the drum once." This is referred to as "dutching" and is not necessary. However, it does work as a quick fix in the field if you need to add a little extra tension to the drum quickly.
          Will Chappell

Comment

Make sure the rope eye is on the inside of the drum hoop and is large enough to pull around the bottom of the hoop. If not the drum will not sit level when resting on the bottom hoop.

Also, when putting the drum together if you have a strip of cloth under the top head you may want to consider removing it.

This is called a muffle and were not used in the Civil War. It has been determined that muffles were not used in drums until the mid 20th century.

If you could, please post pictures of your sons drum. I always like to see other peoples drums.
            Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
            Stonewall Brigade

Comment

I know this thread is old, but I know of a great youtube video showing how to assemble a rope-tension snare. The video shows U.S. Army SSG Andrew Porter, who is a snare drummer with the Hellcats of the U.S. Military Academy Band. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3bCwvYSXnU
              SSG John Connors
              122nd Army Band
              Bugler, I Co. 66th O.V.I.
              Alto horn musician, 73rd O.V.I. Regiment Band

Comment

Working...
              X