Period Sheet Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Sheet Music

Does anyone know of someone who sells reproduction period sheet music/songbooks? I have only been able to find modern books of Civil War songs or reproduction "songsters" with lyrics only.

Your obed't serv't,
    D. E. Ullman
    1st Md Vols, US.
    [I][B][SIZE="3"]Douglas Ullman, Jr.[/SIZE][/B][/I]
    Gravel Cruncher

[I][FONT="Times New Roman"]"We will Stane this Suthrn Soil with our blood. And leave maney of our boddyes there in memory of the day that we Stood like a Stone wall and fight to the last to Conquer this Rebelien or Die."
    - Cpl. Rey Rudolph, 102nd New York Volunteers, March 28, 1865[/FONT][/I]

Re: Period Sheet Music

Can you narrow your request a bit? What type of music are you trying to locate? Minstrel books of sheet music are available from elderly.com Many individual sheets are available online from the Lester Levy site and the Music for the Nation site. Both are linked from my own links page at http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/links.htm#N_24_

Don't forget archive.org which has some dandies. An examination of books compiled by Elias Howe turns up an impressive list : http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...C+1820-1895%22
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Thanks, Silas. I was primarily looking for vocal sheets and you've given me a great place to continue my search. If I have more specific questions I'll post later, but for the moment it looks as though I'll have my hands full.

Thanks again.
      [I][B][SIZE="3"]Douglas Ullman, Jr.[/SIZE][/B][/I]
      Gravel Cruncher

[I][FONT="Times New Roman"]"We will Stane this Suthrn Soil with our blood. And leave maney of our boddyes there in memory of the day that we Stood like a Stone wall and fight to the last to Conquer this Rebelien or Die."
      - Cpl. Rey Rudolph, 102nd New York Volunteers, March 28, 1865[/FONT][/I]

Comment

Dover Publications at one time had two volumes of Civil War era music for sale in their catalog. We had them at the library I worked for over 15 years ago. Civil War Songbook by Richard Crawford, and Songs of the Civil War by Irwin Sibler. The first one has 37 songs in it and the second one has 125.

These were originally red hard-backed books with no modern markings on the outside. I think the new ones are paper-backed.

www.doverpublications.com then type Civil War Music in their search function.
        Last edited by Army30th; 08-01-2010, 05:55 PM. Reason: Additional information
        William Lee Vanderburg
        26th NCT

Robert S. Bowers / 4th NC
        Calvin Spry / 57th NC

Comment

Working...
        X