This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antietam Early Banjo Gathering III

For anyone wishing to learn more about Civil War era banjo, playing, music, banjo construction and history ---- this is the event for you!

It will be held at the Pry House on the Antietam Battlefield near Keedysville MD.

Presenters and mentors include Dr. Robert Winan's, Carl Anderton, Greg Adams, George Wunderlich and many others.

Here is the basic information:

August 28-29, 2010

Saturday starting at 8:30am

Sunday starting at 9:00am to 12:00pm

Itinerary

Saturday

8:30am Check-in, coffee and pastries

9:00 Lecture (speaker TBD)

10:15 ` Jam Session and mentor Sessions

11:30 Lunch

12:30-2:00pm Demonstrations—Banjo making and minor repairs, George Wunderlich

2:15 Presentation

4:00 Concert preparation

5:00-6:30 Concert

6:30-9:00 Participant Show & Tell – jam or see the town

9:00pm-8:00am Camping in Pry barn and house

Sunday

9:00am Planning meeting

9:30 Jam Session

11:30 Wrap-up

Participant Show & Tell: Participants can share new tunes, techniques, research, resources, etc. Must pre-register to present.

Pre-register by downloading form on Facebook page, calling Susan Rosenvold at 301-695-1864 or by email at pryeducation@civilwarmed.org
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]George Wunderlich
    Executive Director
    National Museum of Civil War Medicine and
    The Letterman Institute [/FONT]

Re: Antietam Early Banjo Gathering III

Mr. Wunderlich,

I am the proud owner of a fine, early banjo of your craftsmanship. I have watched your youtube videos many times and have learned a great deal from them. I also enjoyed your MO contribution on "How the States got their Shapes". I took to early banjo like a duck to water and learned a good 30 minstrel and Southron tunes in short order, which I used to play out when the opportunity arose.

To best get a feel for the suitability of my impression for such an event, I have also watched videos of previous years events.

In searching the web for information, I was unable to locate the authenticty and impression guidelines / standards for this event ?

Thanks.

Chris Rideout
    Tampa, Florida

Comment

There are no standards for this event in terms of authenticity. We have period dress mainstreamers to thread counters and campaigners to non reenactorrs who want to learn more about the music and the instrument. All are welcome to come if they have a desire for knowledge and wish to hone their skills. It is great fun and you will never find a more interesting group of guys.

Hope this helps.
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]George Wunderlich
      Executive Director
      National Museum of Civil War Medicine and
      The Letterman Institute [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by georgewunderlich
        There are no standards for this event in terms of authenticity. We have period dress mainstreamers to thread counters and campaigners to non reenactorrs who want to learn more about the music and the instrument. All are welcome to come if they have a desire for knowledge and wish to hone their skills. It is great fun and you will never find a more interesting group of guys.
        Should there be a fourth gathering and a desire to post notice on this forum, there will need to be authenticity standards before notice is allowed here. As a minstrel banjo player, I very much appreciate the desired ends of the gathering, but the means are inappropriate for this forum. No standards means no right to post notice here.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
        X