X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Kilted Warriors"

Has anyone seen this cd? http://www.celtboy.org/
    Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Re: "Kilted Warriors"

I just listened to some clips on iTunes and it doesn't sound too bad. I've always though how great it would be to form a period pipe and drum corps with rope tension drums as opposed to those high tension things every pipe and drum band in the universe uses! Well, here you go! Not bad at all, I like the concept and man, you gotta love those uniforms!
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
    Handsome Company Mess
    Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I picked up a copy at the Gettysburg NMP. It's pretty good and it has a really nice insert with a documentation on the various songs and how they are performed.

Bob Gregory
      79th NY Company A

Comment

I checked out the website and listened with particular interest to the Pipe & Drum cuts. A word of caution here. Highland Bagpipes, like all 18th / 19th century instruments, have evolved considerably, particularly in the last 30 years. Synthetic pipe bags, reeds and higher pitched chanters (the melody component of bagpipes), render these modern insturments completely different from period or reproduction instruments. I've been a piper for more than 40 years and it is quite easy to distinguish the sound of the modern highland bagpipe from the much flatter tone of an authentically set-up bagpipe. The pipes on these tracks are set up in the modern style.....an analogy to something we may all be familiar with are the modern steel stringed / fretted banjos with tone rings and resonators . Also, The music is not necessarily period correct. The second tune in the piping track is "The Barren Rocks of Aden" , clearly a late 20th century tune commemorating the departure of the British from Aden following WWII. As far as piping and drumming go, it's fine. Good stuff....! However, it isn't authentic or period and, as such, shouldn't be touted on this forum.

Jeff Christman
        Liberty Hall Fifes & Drums
        Tidewater Pipes & Drums

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Christman
          However, it isn't authentic or period and, as such, shouldn't be touted on this forum.
          That's what I've been waiting to hear. I did learn something about synthetics used in bagpipes about which I was not aware nor even considered. "Say goodnight to this thread, Gracie."
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
          X