1860 Minstrel Group Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1860 Minstrel Group Question

Looking at pictures of period tambourines, I'm leaning that way myself now. The lack of obviously visible rattles is what made me lean against it, but Eric Davis's point that they could have as few as four means you could see that much of a smooth side between them.

Sure looks like a bodhran to me.....
    Jeff Christman
    Do you mean it looks like a bodhran but not a dundo, as described in my previous post? Lack of rattles would separate a bodhran from a tambourine, but what would separate a bodhran from a dundo?

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    Hank Trent

Comment

We are getting ready to make a few drum shells here in the next month or so. If we have a big enough piece of maple left over from the drum shells I might try to make a good Tambo shell! If I do end up making a Tambo I'll post pictures for y'all!
      [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
      Handsome Company Mess
      Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

How tall are surviving examples of tambos? Could just use oak. We had a hard time finding that 12" wide maple.

Tambos would actually be good practice. I wonder how thick the tambos shells were. I imagine 1/8" would be about right, since that is good for a snare drum.
        Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 01-13-2011, 01:46 PM.
        Will Chappell

Comment

Yeah same thickness. 1/8 to a 1/4. If we can find a piece of wood just 6" wide it would be perfect. Just do it 16" around so we don't have to build another jig.
          Handsome Company Mess

Comment

6" sounds huge! Where are you getting these measurements? Are there any photos of originals online anywhere?
            Will Chappell

Comment

Originally posted by 4VADRUMMER View Post
              No one makes a good reproduction Tambo today.

I disagree, Mr. Wunderlich makes a very nice Tambo. And I have made a couple myself that fit the bill. I find your statement without merit sir.
              Scott House

Comment

I'd be interested in a good Tambo. I had a Wunderlich and it was no where near the size of the one the gent in the picture is holding. I can't find any good reproduction bones either. I'm looking for originals now.
                Mark G. Lewis

Formerly with the "State's Rights Guard" & the 10th Texas @ Pickett's Mill

"I was told that even if a regiment was clothed in proper uniform by the Government, it would be parti-colored again in a week, as the soldiers preferred wearing the coarse home-spun jackets and trousers made by their mothers and sisters at home. The Generals very wisely allow them to please themselves in this respect"~Freemantle~

Comment

I wasn't aware that George made Tambo's! I wouldn't mind getting one now that I know that.... Thanks for the info Scott.
                  Handsome Company Mess

Comment

I'm somewhat out of my league here, but what if you simply took an existing small bodhran, and added some jingles to it?
                    Eric Marten

Comment

Originally posted by 4VADRUMMER View Post
                      I wasn't aware that George made Tambo's! I wouldn't mind getting one now that I know that.... Thanks for the info Scott.
                      He USED to. He does not have them advertised on his site. You will have to ask him if he still makes them.
                      Scott House

Comment

Originally posted by eric marten View Post
                        I'm somewhat out of my league here, but what if you simply took an existing small bodhran, and added some jingles to it?
                        Then you would have a farby bodhran with jingles. IMO
                        Scott House

Comment

I've only been able to turn up auction photos with no measurements, and of course period photos in (Americas instrument) and such. The whole shell making thing is alien to me Will....I was thinking once we made the shell you have to cut it down to make it smooth on both sides... I would just like to do a 14" to 16" shell around 3" deep. Then we got to do the cut outs for the rattles. Once the rattles are done and the shell finish we could tack a skin head on it should be good to go then. You will have to walk me through the process man. I'm lost on making anything out of wood!! Lol
                          Handsome Company Mess

Comment

We've got one of George's tambos in the Camptown Shakers. I just replaced the head on it due to some unfortunate shenanigans after a show. It was either 16" or 18" diameter. Pretty unwieldy to play, and was mostly used for visual effect until one time when it was the only one brought to a show where it got its chance to shine. D. Culgan.

Comment

There is a great historical debate about the bohdran in Ireland. It seems that there is almost NO documentation of the instrument in the last hald of the 19th and first half of the 20th century. It seems that it was brought back by the traditional music movement in the 1950's and 60's. It is traditional, but may well not have been common from the 18th to the 20th century. There is much more work that needs to be done on this.

As for this photo, I have inspected the original on several occasions. It is a tambourine with several chimes (3 or 4 it is not completely clear). It is being held in a manner consistent with period images and other known instruments. It also appears to have a tensioned head. There is another extant tension head tambourine in the collection of the historical society of Mount Vernon OH. Interestingly, that instrument was also used by a black string band.
                              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]George Wunderlich
                              Executive Director
                              National Museum of Civil War Medicine and
                              The Letterman Institute [/FONT]

Comment

George,

Do you happen to have the measurements of the Mt. Vernon tambo you are referring to or any other surviving tambos? I have a steam bending project in the works.

Thanks.
                                Will Chappell

Comment

Working...
                                X