Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period cornet

pards:
    does anyone know where I can get a period cornet. I have a copuple of pards that want to start a period band. I don'ty know if it'll work but might as well try.
    Very Respectfully,
    Robert Young

Re: Period cornet

www.eBay.com or Heritage instrument company

You're looking at $2000 for a Bb or Eb Cornet/trumpet, string driven rotary valves. and the prices start climbing from there. Rusty Ayers from the Regimental Band found a BEAT up OTS Tenor Bass (still a BIG instrument) in San Diego for under 2 bills. Sent it to an Illinois buddy of his to play with it for another 2 bills. In the first turn (the big one below the bell) he found the remains of a dead mouse..... the horn had been used in California Mining camps in the 1850's....

Anyway it look great, plays sweet, and Rusty has been offered 8+ for it.....and he's not going to give it up any time soon.....

Jari Villanueva has plenty of music, sources for mouthpieces and instruments, advice, etc. He just put together some real pros for his Washington City band.....heard them at Antietam 140 and they are Top Drawer. And getting BETTER.

Bill Gay is still around the hobby, he founded two bands (who are still doing well today), and I see him at NSA events (we're both on Federal 1st Division staff). A WEALTH of knowledge to be tapped for certain.

Good luck with your band, I hope to hear you perform someday (and troop our color line)!

RJ Samp
    RJ Samp
    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Try and contact Mark Elrod, who lives in Maryland, south of Washington DC. He co-wrote a book on Civil War instruments, which is available from Dixie Gun Works. In the late 1960's & early 1970's, at N-SSA events, Mark was always to be found with a haversack full of antique mouthpieces for brass instruments. He has a sizable collection and may have something for sale.

Gil Tercenio
      Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Great suggestion Gil! Had lunch with Mark a couple of seasons ago when he flew out here to play at an event. Top Drawer guy, bugler, and brass musician.

I've got his email if anyone needs it.

RJ Samp
        RJ Samp
        Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

I would like get Mark's e-mail address. I haven't talked to him in years. He was supposed to be at the Tannehill event, SW of B'ham AL a few years ago. I made it there, but he didn't.

Thanks in advance,

Gil Tercenio
          Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Originally posted by MuleyGil
            I would like get Mark's e-mail address. I haven't talked to him in years. He was supposed to be at the Tannehill event, SW of B'ham AL a few years ago. I made it there, but he didn't.

Thanks in advance,

Gil Tercenio
            elrodent@comcast.com

RJ Samp
            RJ Samp
            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
            X