Drummer impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drummer impression

Hello fellas. After a decade out of the hobby, I am returning. I am primarily building a confederate theme as I can do local living history and due to money restrictions. I want to be as accurate as possible and have tried to locate photos to help with my accuracy. I decided on a used CJ Daley CD Shell from the forum and a Dirty Billy Beehive farmer hat. Trousers are up in the air as of yet. One of my questions is, did field musicians where a belt with this type jacket? I currently plan to wear suspenders. As far as other equipment, I have more research to do.

Also, What are some appropriate songs to play at memorial services and dedications. I was approached and asked to be involved with a local event and need some ideas. All thoughts and recommendations are welcome and needed. Thanks

Scott Davis
    [I][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"]Scott Davis
    Lost Drummer and Fifer[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I]

Drummer impression

Where's everybody at?

Comment

Re: Drummer impression

Hi Scott........

Saw your post and was struck by the obvious question. How do you rate yourself as a drummer? Have you played with field music in the past? What you wear is not as important as how well and what you play. Is your instrument appropriate for an authentic CW drummer / field music impression? I think the lack of response reflects the very little info you passed along in your initial post. In the music field, what and how well you play trumps most everything else.

Best regards,
      Jeff Christman
      Liberty Hall Fifes & Drums

Comment

Drummer impression

First off, thanks for replying. As far as my skill level, I was a trained percussionist throughout grade school. Wanted to play on the collegiate level, but was burned out by the time I graduated. I attended a dozen or so events with my father from the age of 16-18. We were in the Army of the Pacific, Cleburnes Division, and Mud Seals. I was turned off due to the lack of quality musicians then, although I wasn't the model drummer. I knew very little of period music and responsibilities, to portray an accurate example.
        My drum was built by Terry Cornet back in 1998. I consider it to be of good quality and appropriate to the period. I feel that an accurate impression is just as important as knowing army 2/4.
        With all this being said, I am working at getting back in playing condition and building a good set of duds. My older items haven't fit in many years. Again, thanks for responding and look forward to your feedback.

Comment

Re: Drummer impression

Originally posted by Luckiduc13 View Post
          What are some appropriate songs to play at memorial services and dedications. I was approached and asked to be involved with a local event and need some ideas.
          Here are some tunes documented as being played by Confederate fifers:

Bold Soldier Boy (Cullings from the confederacy By Nora Fontaine M. Davidson)
          Bonnie Blue Flag (Co. Aytch)
          Bonnie Blue Flag (Valley Spirit: July 8, 1863)
          Devil's Dream (Hubbs, G. Ward. Voices from Company D: Diaries by the Greensboro Guards, Fifth Alabama Infantry Regiment)
          Dixie (The Illustrated London News, vol.39, no.1111, p.338.)
          Dixie (Co. Aytch)
          Dixie (Valley Spirit: July 8, 1863)
          Girl I Left Behind Me (Cullings from the confederacy By Nora Fontaine M. Davidson)
          Girl I Left Behind Me (Southern Historical Society Papers Vol. XXXII. Richmond, Va., January-December. 1904, pp. 174-178)
          Granny Will Your Dog Bite? (undated article from Lenoir News-Topic, reprinted in Company Front [26th N.C. periodical], Sept. 1994, p. 14)
          Highland Mary (Southern Historical Society Papers Vol. XXXII. Richmond, Va., January-December. 1904, pp. 174-178)
          "Irish Jigs" (The Illustrated London News, vol.39, no.1111,p.338.)
          Marseillaise (The Illustrated London News, vol.39, no.1111, p.338.)
          Marseillaise (Valley Spirit: July 8, 1863)
          "Negro Melodies" (The Press. Vol. 8--No. 29. Philadelphia, Friday, September 2, 1864)
          St. Patrick's Day in the Morning
          "The marching music came from their fifer whose favorite tune was 'St. Patrick's Day in the morning.'"
          (Description of Hillsborough Border Guards, Loudoun County, Va., leaving home for camp of instruction in early May 1861, quoted in John E. Devine, 8th Virginia Infantry, 2nd edition, Lynchburg, 1983, unpaginated "Prologue")
          Walk in the Light (Emanuel, An Historical Sketch of the Georgetown Rifle Guards, and as Co. A of the Tenth Regiment So. Ca. Volunteers, in the Army of the Confederate States, n.p., n.d. [1909], page [6] (not paginated).
          Walk in the Light (Walker, Rolls and Historical Sketch of the Tenth Regiment, So. Ca. Volunteers, in the Army of the Confederate States (Charleston: Walker, Evans & Cogswell, 1881), p. 75.
          Who'll Be King but Charlie (The Civil War on the Outer Banks By Fred M. Mallison)

Check out this thread:

Fifers played many of the same tunes as fiddlers. Here's some stuff I found:

From Battles and sketches of the Army of Tennessee By Bromfield Lewis Ridley:

p. 547

Uncle Billy, the dusky "laughing fiddler of the cove" was on hand, with scores of rosy girls and ruddv boys to "chase the glowing hours with flying feet." Among them, when Uncle Billy called "Podnuh fo' de comtilyom," was John Gueron, straight and lusty, and with black eyes gleaming amid the conscious clumsiness of the throng, and at his side, laughing and beautiful with happiness, was Lena Paxton.

Uncle Billy's "instrument" was "chuned up en put in cir'mstance," as he expressed it, and, because he was especially fond of Miss Lena and Marse John, who, for his faithful carrying of their notes, had contributed liberally of his slender revenues, gave exceptional zest to his performance of the favorite airs of the place and time, such as "Old Zip Coon," "Billy in de Low Ground," "The Devil's Dream," and "Chicken in de Bread Tray." The jocund fiddler chuckled over the bubbling bliss of the twain, and he lent a livelier crescendo than usual to his customary vocal interjections.

p. 469

We are getting restless about our stock—no organization—straggling soldiers threaten to take them—they swarm everywhere, some travel fifty miles a day, going to see father and mother, and wife and children and loved ones, and oh, the young bloods going to see "The Girl I Left Behind Me." That old song comes impressively before me now. Have sung "Just Before the Battle, Mother," "Tramp, Tramp, Tramp, the Boys Are Marching," "Joe Bowers," "Lorena," "Maryland," "Dixie," and "When This Cruel War is Over." But light up the camp fire, boys, tune up the fiddle and the bow, bring in the old tambourine, and listen, oh! listen! to the tune of ''The Girl I Left Behind Me." As the spirit-stirring strains fall on old Jim's (our cook) ears, he begins to pat, and the soul-inspiring sound attracts servant Hannibal who begins to dance, and the welkin fairly rings when we come to that verse:

"If I ever get through this war,
          And Lincoln's chains don't bind me,
          I'll make my way to Tennessee—
          To the girl I left behind me."

From Partisan life with Col. John S. Mosby By John Scott:

p. 197

The thunder you don't! Give us, then, 'Billy in the Low Grounds,' or 'Sugar in the Gourd,' or 'The Arkansas Traveler,' or some hell-bender of your own!'

From The story of a cannoneer under Stonewall Jackson: in which is told the part ... By Edward Alexander Moore:

p. 215
          Forthwith he produced a short flute, took a seat on the foot of the stairs (in the far corner of the room), and played "The Devil's Dream," "The Arkansas Traveler," etc., beating time with his foot.

Originally posted by Luckiduc13 View Post
          One of my questions is, did field musicians where a belt with this type jacket?
          Unfortunately there aren't many photographs of Confederate musicians. Their northern counterparts can be seen going beltless in period photographs even in parade formation, so I see no reason you have to wear one. Besides, there was a shortage of leather in the south. A drummer's belt would not have been a high priority.
          Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 03-18-2011, 04:40 PM.
          Will Chappell

Comment

Working...
          X