Buying another Fife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying another Fife

Looking for some feedback Thinking about pruchasing a Peeler fife, traditional fingering. ANy thoughts, comments, would be appreciated. The one thread on this post was froma few years back (and was quite favorable). Just wanted to hear some oterh thoughts.

Thanks,

Pete Bedrossian
    150th NY/3rd N.C.
    [FONT="Georgia"]
    Pete Bedrossian
    150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
    [/FONT
    ]

Re: Buying another Fife

I love mine. Only draw back is you don't sound the same as other non period correct finger holed fifes. If its good sound quality you are looking for... stay away from it. If its the authentic sound of what the instruments actually sounded like back then that your looking for... then this is currently your only option other then to buy an antique. If only I could convince the rest of my corps to get the peeler fifes! And all Calf skin heads to for that matter! Ah... Sigh.
    Brad Ireland
    Old Line Mess
    4th VA CO. A
    SWB

Comment

Peeler's Firth, Pond, and Co. repro fifes with historical finger holes sound good (so do originals). But they're not as loud as farby fifes (Model F, Ferrary, Cooperman, Sweetheart, Cloos-Crosby, other model Peelers).
      Will Chappell

Comment

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK....I like the ieda of the original sound....Nothing wrong with it...its whay I don;t play a modern penny whistle with a plastic mouthpiece!
        [FONT="Georgia"]
        Pete Bedrossian
        150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
        [/FONT
        ]

Comment

I agree. I like the "original" sound too.
          Brad Ireland
          Old Line Mess
          4th VA CO. A
          SWB

Comment

The difference is modern fifes have wider finger holes, which makes them louder. The drawback is you have to inhale more often.

Joe Whitney

Comment

Working...
            X