Violins in unmarked graves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violins in unmarked graves

I was not sure where to put this so I will put it here. I had read a letter from an ACW soldier with reference to his leaving the comfort of winter camp. Unable to take with him the things the treasured and had made, you may read obtained here, they had secured them. These objects included game boards, home made chess pieces and violins, etc.
    By securing they meant burying in an unmarked grave for later retrieval.
    While this points alarmingly against the fact that fiddles were taken on campaign, which is something I am always gathering evidence on one way or the other, and is slowly building the evidence in my mind that they were not, I am unsure how common this practice would be?
    Has anyone else come across this or related practice.
    ((Mods if this is in a wrongsections just shift it for me please.))
    [B][I]Christian Sprakes
    19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Re: Violins in unmarked graves

I can't imagine it would be very common. The extreme changes in temperature and humidity would surely damage the wood, causing cracks and possibly melt the seam glue. And, of course, the gut strings and tail gut would deteriorate. This is not to say it wasn't done, especially if there weren't alternative choices. A very interesting and surprising find you have there.
    Eric Marten

Comment

Found it, twas not neccisarily his violin. But it was everything else listed. It was Lt Abner R Small who wrote about it. So it was chess men and dice etc that this was used for.
      [B][I]Christian Sprakes
      19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Water is the death of any stringed instrument, especially hollow bodies.
        Tom "Mingo" Machingo
        Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
        Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
        Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
        KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Working...
        X