Drum Major Nevins/Nevans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Major Nevins/Nevans?

Here's an Ebay photo listing which includes the obituary of a bandleader named Major William Nevans "who organized and led the Drum Corps that marched at the head of the Illinois troops during the war".

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 1882 CHICAGO DRUM MAJOR W. NEVANS BROOKLYN SHERMAN'S MARCH POST CIVIL WAR PHOTO at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

I'm assuming there probably weren't two drum majors with identical sounding names from Chicago during the war. I also assume he wouldn't have let them put a sign on a giant bass drum missspelling his name. So apparently either the publisher of his drum, fife and bugle manual misspelled his name, twice (in 62 and 64), or at some point he changed the spelling himself (which wasn't uncommon).

Joe Whitney
    2nd SC String Band
    Liberty Hall Drum & Fife Corps

Re: Drum Major Nevins/Nevans?

Yep, here's proof that both spellings were being used for Nevins/Nevans…in the same book!

"We also found one " Billy" Nevans with the General's band. He afterwards became the Drum Major of the Nineteenth, and, with Fife Major Moore, often gave new life to our flagging steps on many a weary march."

---p. 56 Henry Haynie. The Nineteenth Illinois; a memoir of a regiment of volunteer infantry famous in the Civil War of fifty years ago for its drill, bravery, and distinguished services

PRINCIPAL MISICIANS
    James H. Moore Fife Major Discharged 1/12/63
    William Nevins Enlisted 6/12/62 Turned over for transfer/Promoted Drum Major
    Nathan Sherman Enlisted 6/17/61 Discharged 5/8/63

---p. 82 Henry Haynie. The Nineteenth Illinois; a memoir of a regiment of volunteer infantry famous in the Civil War of fifty years ago for its drill, bravery, and distinguished services

"Chicago had sent a drum corps under the direction of drum major William Nevans to Cairo with the first regiments that took the town. Soldiers quickly learned to respond to the sound of the drum. Drum beats called the soldiers to quarters at 9 o'clock, and at ten, the lights went out. Adherence to the daily routine produced a semblance of military order."

---Key Command: Ulysses S. Grant's District of Cairo by T.K. Konka,

Joe Whitney
    2nd SC String Band
    Liberty Hall Drum & Fife Corps

Comment

Re: Drum Major Nevins/Nevans?

They still haven't sold it, eh? I've been looking at that for MONTHS!! I'm so glad he took great photos, especially since the asking price is, like, out there.

You're right, I found the same stuff. That book is out in reprint, and as an ebook.

Happy New Year!

Susan Cifaldi

Comment

Working...
      X