Learning rudimental drumming by rote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning rudimental drumming by rote

Here's some interesting information I found while reaserching rudimental drumming. Most musicians who enlisted during the Civil War learned to play "camp duty/Airs" by "rote" rather than learning by reading sheets of music.

Drummers in the Regular Army, pre war:
    "Before the war, Regular Army drummers were trained at two military music facilities ("Schools for Practice") at Governor's Island (New York Harbor) & Newport Barracks (Newport, Kentucky). Manuals such as Bruce and Emmett's The drummers' and Fifers' Guide were used to instruct drummers in the techniques of rudimental drumming. Bruce and Emmett's manual contains notated drum rudiments based on a tradition of drum playing which had been passed down by rote.

Drummers who enlisted during the Civil War:
    The tradition of learning to play the drum by rote rather than by note was very much alive during the Civil War. Some drummers of volunteer militia units learned their craft in this manner, and they learned it "on the job." Militia drummers were often taught by a drum major who had been trained at one of the "Schools for Practice" or by an experienced drummer who happened to be in their ranks. The rote method worked reasonably well because all field musicians were required to perform the "camp duty" music from memory."

I figured this would be some great information to pass on to those of you who are busting your brains trying to read drum music. Learning the rudiments by rote (memory/practice) is just as authentic as being able to read the music from the book. (Obviously this can only be done with groups of drummers.... :confused_ ) So join a freakin band!! :baring_te

Robert Garofalo & Mark Elrod A Pictorial History of Civil War Era Musical Instruments & Military Bands (Pictorial Histories Publishing Company Charleston, West Virginia 1985) p. 35,36
    Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 03-07-2004, 01:01 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
    Cincinnati

Well.....

They had 6+ months and 8 hours a day to learn the beats by rote.......

Am sure there are lots of young kids in reenacting that have this kind of time free to beat on the drums.....no distractions like sports, studying, friends, Nintendo, the Internet, other hobbies, Boy Scouts, etc. etc. ....not to mention as a parent I'd have them playing far far away. As an adult I can assure that none of us have this kind of time available to learn by rote.

Much better (and faster) to learn how to read drum notation and the rudiments in B & E. Modern rudiments build upon the basics found in B & E.....so if you have the frist 10 or 15 rudiments down cold you can play just about any beat found in ACW....and it's transferable to school band, drum and bugle corps, orchestra, etc. helps to keep the drumming interest up when you have some variety/change from Three Camps and get to drum with a stage band at school.

I would recommend once a week private lessons from a graduate student in percussion, every other day practice at 30 minutes per session (on a drum pad if noise is an issue) MINIMUM, and participation in school band(ssss) program as an alternative to 8 hour a note rote learning......besides .... who's the experienced drummer who will be by your side performing the beats so you can learn by rote? maybe a CD?

RJ Samp
    RJ Samp
    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Re: Learning rudimental drumming by rote

RJ,

You are correct..... No one actually has the time to learn the rudiments by rote.

I was merly just posting some good information, and I kind of got carried away.

Field music... beat off,
      Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 03-08-2004, 10:08 AM.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
      Cincinnati

Comment

Rote would be an acceptable way to learn provided you have someone who can play correctly. Many drummers have developed bad habits that can be passed to other drummers by this method. As Mr Samp said, the best way is to learn the rudiments from a period manual (B & E) and play along with a CD that performs these pieces correctly. The most important thing is to learn the rudiments, you can learn to read music and you can perform the music but unless you have learned each rudiment you cannot perform this music correctly.

Most beginners should focus solely on these rudiments until they can open and close each with proficiency. Too many beginners try to play a rudiment and think they come close and believe this is good enough. The key to being a good drummer is practice on the fundamentals. Today most modern bands do not teach true rudimental drumming. They use very few rudiments and are basically used for keeping time with very little embellishment.

Like everything else, the more you practice, the better you get. 30-60 minutes per day opening and closing all rudiments will head you in the right direction.

Tom Emerick

Comment

Originally posted by calfskin
          As Mr Samp said, the best way is to learn the rudiments from a period manual (B & E) and play along with a CD that performs these pieces correctly.
          Tom Emerick
          The problem I've run into is that there is no CD available (lots of bugle, none for drum) for my son to listen to. We have checked many places, but none available exists that we can find.
          Bernard Biederman
          30th OVI
          Co. B
          Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
          Outpost III

Comment

There are no CD's for the rudiments but the group I play with does have a CD that is all Bruce & Emmett with the Camp Duties (not all) and a Tattoo. Most selections are our interpretation and are played on calfskin drums and six hole fifes. You can contact my brother Pete at emerick@gis.net to request a copy. Most of the popular tunes are on this CD. Maybe someone should make a CD of just the rudiments, opening and closing.

Tom Emerick

Comment

Originally posted by flattop32355
              The problem I've run into is that there is no CD available (lots of bugle, none for drum) for my son to listen to. We have checked many places, but none available exists that we can find.
              May I suggest "The Civil War, It's Music and it's Sounds" by Frederick Fennell and the Eastman Wind Ensemble. (Mercury Living Presence, Phillips Classics Productions, Polygram 1990)

This is a remastered two disc set that was originally released during the Centennial. In addition to some really good brass band music it has fife and drum field music, bugle calls, drum calls, and fife and drum calls.

It also contains several cuts where they live-fired period weapons over open microphones.

This recording is generally considered to have kicked off the rebirth of interest in 19th century military music and I consider it an essential part of my music library. It is widely available through Amazon, etc.
              Marlin Teat
              [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

Originally posted by marlin teat
                May I suggest "The Civil War, It's Music and it's Sounds" by Frederick Fennell and the Eastman Wind Ensemble. (Mercury Living Presence, Phillips Classics Productions, Polygram 1990)
                I shall attempt to find it. I am in your debt.

YHS,
                Bernard Biederman
                30th OVI
                Co. B
                Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                Outpost III

Comment

You stand corrected

Originally posted by flattop32355
                  You've been looking for love in all the wrong places:

1. There are plenty of ACW music CD's for Fife and Drum music. Camp Chase, 2nd Maryland, Mississippi Valley, and 3rd NJ all have CD's.

Heck, I learned how to play Trumpet by listening and playing along with Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass/Lou Soloff and Blood Sweat and Tears/Maynard Ferguson and OLE (1961) and MF Horn 1/Bill Chase and Chase (1971) and Chase Ennea (1971) by playing off of 33 1/3 vinyl......still have the LP records with the pops and scratches on them.

2. Plenty of Rudiment training CDs out there from Mel Bay etc. at my local music shop. Don't get hung up on American Civil War drumming. It hasn't changed a ton since then (nor has trumpet playing). As Mr. Emerick mentioned, start with the rudiments and work on the Opening (start out SLOW), gradually build up the tempo to maximum speed, slow it down to the Closing (end up very slow). While 11 penny rolls may be a thing of the past, paradiddles, drags, flams, long rolls, taps, etc. are the same. If your son can find a modern recording of 10 of the 15 rudiments that were around during the ACW he's ahead of the game. His professional music teacher can teach him the ACW anomaly rudiments. Quickly.

3. I have a CD (and a Tape) and a Manual on all of the Drum Beats found in Casey's 1862 Infantry Tactics. That means ALL of the Drum Beats (not the fife and drum tunes). Over and Over again. $10 for the CD, $4 for the Tape and $6 for the manual Shipping $2.

2004 is not the time to be learning by rote or shape notes.....modern music teaching incorporates teaching how to read musical rhythyms as you would read a book. And practice of the fundamentals. Once you know how to read music and transfer the written notation into the rudiments, then you start practicing the beats. After a couple of weeks of practice Assembly will fly off the drum like a walk in the park.

email me your address to rjsamp@ameritech.net if you'd like to order.

RJ Samp

RJ Samp
                  RJ Samp
                  (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                  Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
                  X