Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original "John Brown's Body or Song" Ballad Sheets

Greetings,

Wondering if anyone knows where I can find original copies of the song, John Brown's Body or Song Sheets? My old girlfriend who since moved to Oregon had a fetish with John Brown stuff and I wanted to send her a reprint of this song.

Thank you,
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Re: Original "John Brown's Body or Song" Ballad Sheets

Jason:

If you google, or go directly to Wikipedia/John Brown's Body, you find a quite lengthy and detailed article on this tune. Though Wikipedia is not always the best resource, in this case it has some quite interesting information, including the first and second published editions of sheet music for the tune.
    Eric Marten

Comment

Have you looked on the Levy site for sheet music?
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

There is an amazing source of period sheet music called the Lester S. Levy collection. You might want to try that site for this and other song sheets.

Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
        Elverson, PA

Comment

Thanks for the tip re the Levy collection. I have a friend who has a fairly extensive collection of military and veteran sheet music that he'd like to eventually donate. I'll direct him accordingly.
          Paul Hadley
          Tin Ear Troopers
          Paul Hadley

Comment

Working...
          X