Tin Harmonica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tin Harmonica

Newbie here, first post. My boyfriend is a Civil War re-enactor and an avid CW buff. I admit I have alot to learn. My issue is I purchased a harmonica from an online dealer for him as a Valentine's Day gift. It was advertised as a "Civil War period tin harmonica in original cardboard case" I am now wondering if this is an authentic piece or if I have made an expensive mistake. The case is cardboard, very old, the ends are sewed in thread. The harmonica is tin, in "great" condition. It has an eagle with talons and a "P" and a "B" on each wing in the center. I cannot seem to find any information on harmonicas except for Hohners. It clearly is not that. Can anyone help me? I paid $100 for this nearly mint piece. Does it sound authentic?
    Thank you, Pamela Lynch

Re: Tin Harmonica

Thank you.This is the one I purchased. I am hoping its from the Civil War period as her email described to me.
    Pamela Lynch

Comment

I know I was helping in trying to research this very topic about a year ago and ran into a number of dead ends. We could not find any concrete reference to period harmonicas. If what you have is truly a period harmonica it would be very interesting to see. Now aolinas and symphoniums did exist but I also am not aware of period references to them in the field. Hohner did start producing harmonicas in the 1850's (with non mass produced models back to the 1830's) in Europe and I am sure they were brought over but I am not sure how common they were. Unfortunately, Hohner was unable to find records of the period when they were inquired about but the speculation is that it wasn't until about 1866 when they started exporting to the USA. I have read several modern writings about harmonicas popularity during the war but none have had any citations or information that would lead me to believe that it was anything more than supposition on the author's part. As to the item you bought, if it were a period harmonica, I would be surprised to see the eagle with arrows and olive branch stamp as this was NUG an American symbol and at the time of the war the primary manufacture of harmonicas was Germany.
      Robert Collett
      8th FL / 13th IN
      Armory Guards
      WIG

Comment

Likewise, was trying to find information, and came up empty. Is there any explanation, though, for the ubiquitous rusty "harmonica reed" that turns up in almost every elementary collection of dug relics? Is it just a case of coincidental site contamination from later years?
        Marc A. Hermann
        Liberty Rifles.
        MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
        Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Marc,

That is what led us on that quest to find documentation. The problem is it may have not been from a harmonica as we know it today. If the harmonica was so uniquitous, you would think there would be examples somewhere or records somewhere. There were similar instruments available at the time but they looked quite different from the harmonicas such as the Hohner company produced. There is even a quote from Lincoln referring to a mouth harp or harmonica during his campaign but no visual rendition of the actual instrument to which he was referring. Believe me, I would LOVE to find an example of a period harmonica somewhere.
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

So were there no American made harmonicas produced during the CW period? The one I purchased was advertised as such.
            Pamela Lynch

Comment

Not that I was able to find in my research unfortunately. Everything I found pointed back to Germany. I hope you may have a piece that unlocks that mystery for us. When you get it look carefully at it and see if you can find any indication of a maker mark, patent number, etc. I truly would like to know.

Another thing to consider, the American Eagle motif may not be original to the harmonica either and may have been added by the owner, perhaps the P B on it is the original owner's initials. It may be a german model that was customized. My research did point to harmonicas that were not mass produced existing in Europe as early as the 1830's. I'm not saying it's not genuine, but I am somewhat skeptical.
              Robert Collett
              8th FL / 13th IN
              Armory Guards
              WIG

Comment

Your time and efforts are appreciated. I have the harmoica in hand, but no markings of any kind except the eagle is visible. I like the idea that it could be a customized German version. The hand sewn box is impressive, even if it isnt a CW piece. I shall continue my research as the previous owner swears its civil war era since her deceased husband was a CW historian and an advisor on the movie "Gettysburg". This was from his personal collection.
                Pamela Lynch

Comment

You might want to also check out the pitch of the instrument. Decidedly lower pitch from 20th century pitch (A440) might be another clue as to its age.
                  Eric Marten

Comment

Pamela, please keep us updated if you do learn anything else about it.
                    Robert Collett
                    8th FL / 13th IN
                    Armory Guards
                    WIG

Comment

Originally posted by eric marten View Post
                      You might want to also check out the pitch of the instrument. Decidedly lower pitch from 20th century pitch (A440) might be another clue as to its age.
                      That is a good idea. If you have a electronic guitar tuner, you could easily test it to see if it comes up flat. If you don't have one, go down to the local music shop or Guitar Center and they will probably help you out.
                      Will Chappell

Comment

Thank you all for your tips. Once I present this gift, we will surely do some more research. Really hoping its CW period. The American eagle emblem most likely is a hint that it is not.
                        Pamela Lynch

Comment

Working...
                        X