Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiddle strings

Friends

I believe I have seen stated on this forum that, although steel strings were available, gut violin strings were most commonly used.

However, I don't recall seeing the documentation for this statement.

Does anybody know where this widespread idea comes from?

Perhaps instuctional manuals or surveys of period advertisements?

Or is it just a "gut" feeling? Pun intended

PS. This is an honest question and not meant to anger anyone
    Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
    1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Re: Fiddle strings

Are you looking to purchase some strings or is this an idle question? I posted a link on a reenacting forum local to me yesterday about a place which sells gut in various sizes from various barnyard animals. I can provide the link to this vendor and to a few others. Or anyone can go onto the minstrel banjo forum and perform a search for gut strings to obtain the same links.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I certainly would not advise Alan to try to make his own gut strings from different animals, when gut strings are readily available, and actually no more expensive than the most popular modern steel or synthetic strings. As far as use, gut strings weren't just the most commonly used, they were the ONLY kind of string used on violins (fiddles). The three upper ones were pure gut (and unvarnished) and the lower string (G) was gut wound with silver wire. This is what was common in the nineteenth century, with string manufacturers in many of the larger cities. Violin Making As It Was And Is, by Ed Heron-Allen (c.1880) has about a dozen pages on period string manufacture. The same violin strings were used on other instruments. Recently (within the past 20 years, that is) some of the strings of Nicolo Paganini, the most famous violinist of the early Nineteenth Century, were found, with evidence that he used them on his guitar as well (He was a virtuoso guitarist as well). For over thirty years I have been using Pirastro Chorda violin strings, and I have four violins strung up with them, which I use with some of my student apprentices at Living History Museums and events. They are very reliable, mellow, and beautiful sounding. They take a little getting used to if you've only used steel strings, but the sound of the two types is so different. Unfortunately, the majority of "Minstrel groups" and "Civil War String Bands" go the easier route and use modern fiddles with steel and synthetic strings, spreading much misinformation at Reenactment Events, and incorrect music, simply because it is easier to use them and sell CD's.
      Mark, I would never attempt to make my own, but I certainly would be interested in seeing the links you mentioned on that forum.
      Eric Marten

Comment

Mark,

I'd be interested in the link. I don't need fiddle strings, but I am looking for another source for catgut snares for drums, which are basically a thicker version of a fiddle string. Maybe those people who make the gut could make me some 2 or 2.5mm snares.

Thanks

Originally posted by Silas View Post
        Are you looking to purchase some strings or is this an idle question? I posted a link on a reenacting forum local to me yesterday about a place which sells gut in various sizes from various barnyard animals. I can provide the link to this vendor and to a few others. Or anyone can go onto the minstrel banjo forum and perform a search for gut strings to obtain the same links.
        Will Chappell

Comment

This is the one with strings from all the barnyard animals : http://www.gamutstrings.com/catalog.html?Vl=72&Tp=2

Two banjo places which sell gut strings : http://www.gourdbanjo.com/GBhtml/gut.html and http://www.drhorsehair.com/accy.html
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Thank you Mark -

Gamut Strings I am familiar with. I understand they make very good quality strings - I've never tried them since I'm quite satisfied with the Pirastro Chorda strings. They other two sites I will enjoy viewing, as well.
            Eric Marten

Comment

Friends

Thank all of you for your replies

Let me clarify my original question

1) It was not an idle question. I really am looking for documentation as to which types of violin strings were available in the 1860s. I have read the opinions on the forum, but the documentation references on this topic have been rather non- specific. I was hoping you all could provide some more details.

2) I was not looking for sources of gut strings. I have played with gut on my violins (as well as on guitar and banjo) for many years.

3) Thank you Mr Marten, for the Heron-Allen reference. The book is listed on Amazon, and is the text is searchable. As you mentioned, there is a nice section on strings. It is mainly about gut strings, but also discusses silk strings

Here is another 1880 publication on the internet archive site. See page 27 for a section on steel strings.

The author doesn't recommend steel strings, because he doesn't like the tone. ( He is only talking about a steel E string. )

He allows, however, that " For playing in a hot ball-room or for an amatuer who studies ecomony alone,these strings may do very well."

He also mentions the reputed durability of a steel E string as well as discussing silk E strings.

(Another Howe violin instructor is on the same site. It is dated 1847, but doesn't seem to discuss strings
              http://www.archive.org/details/howesnewviolinwi00howe)

Does anyone have any 1860s violin string sources like these?

4) I asked about a survey of advertisements in my original question and here is a start.

I was recently shown this searchable Harpers Weekly site.

You Found It! The WEB's Most Extensive Collection of Original Harper's Weekly Newspapers from the Civil War

I searched for violin strings and found only ads for silk strings..all from the same seller. Here are a few examples

a) Dec 17, 1864
              Drums and Trumpets. FLUTES, VIOLINS, GUITARS, and musical instruments of every description. Send stamp for price list, Silk violin strings , 25c., mailed. Fredrick Blume, 206 Bowery.
              b) July 11, 1863
              Violin Strings to Stand Hot Weather.
              Best French Silk, 4 lengths, 25 cents. Italian, 4 lengths, 25 cents. New Music Book. Tunes of the world, for either Violin, Flute, Accordeon, Flageolet, 50 cents. Musicians' Omnibus, 700 tunes for Violin, Flute, Cornet, &c. $1. Mailed. FREDERICK BLUME, 208 Bowery, N. Y.

Does anyone have access to other ads that might show gut or steel strings?

I appreciate any other references the forum members can provide
              Alan W. Lloyd

Member of:
              1st Colorado Vol Inf.

Comment

Alan:
                Thanks for the links. Here, also, is somewhere you can go for some additional information about historical strings. Go on aquilacorde, or aquilausa, or for the article about Nicolo Paganini and his violin and guitar strings in the early 19th century, google aquilacorde nicolo paganini. Sorry, I'm not good at posting computer links, so use google search. The strings in the 19th century were usually double length, so the consumer would cut them into two violin strings, or trim them appropriately for guitar strings.
                Eric Marten

Comment

Alan: A couple of more sources:

" The Art of the Violin" by Pierre Marie Francois de Sales Baillot published in Paris, 1835, and reprinted and translated in its entirety by Northwestern University Press in 1991. 545 pages, and includes much info on strings (thickness, quality of gut necessary for strings, etc).

Also, Alberto Bachmann, "An Encyclopedia of the Violin" 1925, includes entire chapter on string manufacture, both American and European Process, over 13 pages, including some early photos of the process. 470 pages, reprinted 1966 Da Capo Press.
                  Last edited by eric marten; 02-17-2012, 08:21 AM.
                  Eric Marten

Comment

Working...
                  X