"Robinson Crusoe"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Robinson Crusoe"

This is probably a ditty lost to time but I was wondering if anyone out there has heard of this tune. I am reading a history of the unit of which I am a member and there is a mention of this song:

"On one occasion, several officers of the California regiment escaped an especially violent squall by gathering in the tent of a captain...The popular tune of that evening, and one that was destined to become a favorite of the regiment, was "Robinson Crusoe." ( p. 46 - "Duty Well Done"; The History of Edward Baker's California Regiment )

I have done some looking into it and found a brief segment of a children's nursery rhyme. No music mentioned. I only ask because of the resourcefulness of the members on this board. I shall endeavor to keep searching as I think it would be interesting to learn since it appeared to be a regiment favorite.

Thanks
    Robert Pardi
    71st PVI, Co. K

Re: "Robinson Crusoe"

Well I found the words on the LOC website. Turns out the nursery rhyme is the song.

Now to find the music, although it seems like you can easily put a tune to it but I'd rather be accurate.
    Robert Pardi
    71st PVI, Co. K

Comment

Your looking for 'The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe' written and sung by Harry Clifton? Not sure if this is the nursery rhyme that you referred to. I haven't found the sheet music on-line, but googling the terms above should help narrow it down. Hope this helps. Dave Culgan, Camptown Shakers band.

Comment

Howard Clifton's "Adventures of Robinson Crusoe" is here : http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage...w::&linkText=0 Problem with this version is that it's publishing date is 1877.

I looked yesterday and saw it. Looks pretty good, but it's not likely the same song as it would have had to sit for fifteen years before someone got around to finally publishing it. Another possibility is that there were other publishings, but this is the only one which survives. Possible odds, but slim.

Do you have any of the lyrics to the one mentioned in the book? And if so, do they match Clifton's version?
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Unfortuantely only the title is mentioned which makes it rather difficult if not impossible to pin down the version sung by the captain in '61.

Here's the version I found: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage...ccalbib,mamcol

However, there is no date associated with it. But it is simply titled "Robinson Crusoe" which matches that in the book. Leaves much to be interpreted.
          Robert Pardi
          71st PVI, Co. K

Comment

Working...
          X