Day's of '49, researched.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day's of '49, researched.

My apologies if this have been covered already. I've searched but couldn't find a thread.

There are plenty of "folk" style verisions of "The Day's of '49" around, and the lyrics are in "Old Put's Golden Songster" but to make sure we have the melody and the harmony just right we need some piano or guitar sheet music from the day. Anybody have a good source of this tune as originally done?
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Re: Day's of '49, researched.

All the sources I've seen suggest that this song is in fact post Civil War.

I've seen it credited to later editions of "Old Put's Golden Songster" a publication that I've not found any other reference to. "Puts Golden Songster, published in 1858, does not contain the lyrics. It is possible that the person who started this rumor was confused with a song titled "The Fools of '49" that was published in Put's Original California Songster.

The earliest publication date I've seen for "The Days of Forty-Nine" is 1874 in The Great Emerson's New Popular Songster. It's a great song and well known since Dylan polularized it, but I just haven't been able to find any good reson to assume it is appropriate to the Civil War era.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Re: Day's of '49, researched.

Thanks, Troy, I appreciate that. I never thought to date the songster; I assumed. And we all know what happens when you ass-u-me.
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
      X