Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Master's thesis: 19th-century banjos in the 21st-century: Custom and tradition in a modern early banjo revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master's thesis: 19th-century banjos in the 21st-century: Custom and tradition in a modern early banjo revival

Dear A-C Music Forum Members,

For those who know me, you may recall that I spent the last three years working on a second masters degree, this one in ethnomusicology (the first one is in library and information sciences). I am writing to share information about my thesis, which I completed and submitted for graduation this past spring at the University of Maryland, College Park. It is about modern interest in the early banjo and includes some of the ways antebellum, early minstrel, and Civil War banjos are incorporated into contexts such as Civil Ware reenacting. I am sharing the link here because the activities of some members of the Authentic Campaigner website have contributed notably to this constantly evolving modern interest in the early banjo.

If you are interested in reading my thesis, it is now available through a digital repository interface at the University of Maryland (http://drum.lib.umd.edu/handle/1903/12667). I am very grateful to those who were willing to work with me and allow me to interview them because their voices added great depth to this vitally important subject. I am also hoping that the issues explored in this thesis will contribute to an approach of exploring history in ways that are both critical and inclusive.

Thank you,
    Greg C. Adams
    P.S., If you have any difficulty downloading the document from the UMD website, let me know and I'll be happy to get you a copy.
    P.P.S, If this post is too off-topic, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Re: Master's thesis: 19th-century banjos in the 21st-century: Custom and tradition in a modern early banjo revival

Greg Adams, not your average reenactor. The early banjo world is indebted to all the hard work you do.

By the way, if you've never seen it, Greg's Banjo Sightings Database is perhaps the largest collection of early banjo ephemera on the web. Check it out:

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Re: Master's thesis: 19th-century banjos in the 21st-century: Custom and tradition in a modern early banjo revival

That database is where I got the idea and measurements for the banjo I made and brought to many events. I am looking forward to reading Greg's thesis.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Congratulations on your achievement, Greg. You are the man! I look forward to reading your thesis.

Carson Hudson
        Williamsburg, VA

Comment

Having just spent and enjoyable couple of hours reading your thesis I would like to thank you for your efforts at explaining and informing the standing of our chosen instrument. I shall have many new thoughts to bring to the building of my next (minstrel) banjo. We have the same issues here in the UK as in the USA that you so clearly expressed in your thesis, whether it involves making banjos, or the singing or playing of minstrel/blackface music. Thank you once again for your erudite discussion (and the excellent bibliography that I shall be using as the basis for further reading and research).
          Best wishes
          Richard Phipp
          Bath, england

Comment

Working...
          X