No announcement yet.

Ap article about modern interest in early minstrelsy and civil war era music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ap article about modern interest in early minstrelsy and civil war era music

Hello A-C,

I thought some folks here might be interested in a recent story being picked up from the Associated Press regarding a topic of noted interest.

Best regards,
    Greg C. Adams

Re: Ap article about modern interest in early minstrelsy and civil war era music

P.S., Here's the full link: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012...nted=1&_r=2&hp

Greg C. Adams

Comment

Re: Ap article about modern interest in early minstrelsy and civil war era music

Thank you, Greg. That is an interesting article. I think that the rise of "camp bands" (to use the language of the article) have added a lot of depth to our knowledge and experience at events. Bobby Horton blazed quite a trail reintroducing songs of the era, and I think folks like the Allendale Melodians have taken that a step further by actually trying to recreate how those songs sounded and how they were presented at the time.

While not a musical presentation, I thought the Liberty Rifles' presentation of "MacBeth" at "At High Tide" a few years ago was fantastic. Watching it reminded me of the first time I saw the Mellodians. I had that feeling that I was seeing something unique and authentic that hasn't been done much since the 1860's.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
      X