I need Bugle advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need Bugle advice

I've decided to take up the bugle in part for my unit, the 2nd US Cavalry Co. A. My wife bought me a "horn" for Christmas off Ebay which resembles the DGW Stones River Model, but with a "Made in India" sticker inside the bell. I'm concerned about the sound the horn produces and am wondering if it's not actually a functional instrument. Since I take pride in not doing anything half way... where shall I look for an accruate reproduction ACW cavalry bugle preferably in the Key of F? (Is such a thing even produced?) And where shall I look for period reproduction mouthpieces?

-John Coldiron

Re: I need Bugle advice

Hello John,
    the typical key of the Civil War issue bugle was C while trumpets were in G or F. Of course there were many variations around. What is the problem with your horn?
    I hope to get my copper issue bugles in C with Bb pigtail crook in stock again next spring have a look at http://www.lederarsenal.com/en/pages...-bugle-187.php
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the term bugle and trumpet were often used interchangeably where all bugles were trumpets but not all trumpets were bugles. But yes, in my all be it limited research, the dragoons and early ACW cavalry used an F Trumpet and when supplies ran out often used Clarions. I have a picture of the F Trumpet if I could figure out how to upload it....

-John Coldiron

Comment

John, most people think trumpets are the ones with keys, and bugles are the ones without. But the only real difference between a bugle and trumpet is the tubing. Bugle tubing widens as it goes along towards the flared bell at the end (i.e. it's conical) while trumpet tubing doesn't (i.e. it's cylindrical). This makes bugles sound mellower (kind of french hornish-that's why bugle insignia look like a french horn/fox hunting horn) and trumpets sound shrill or "brassier".

You can have trumpets with no keys and bugles with keys (a.k.a. cornets). Trumpets were traditionally used in the cavalry while bugles were used in the skirmishers/sharpshooters/light infantry and the artillery.

What you picked up is a mass produced pseudo-reproduction of the 19th century British Army officer's bugle (see photo below). Most of the cheapo bugles, drums and bagpipes available today come from India and Pakistan (once part of India), a remaing tradition from their place once as the jewel in the crown of the British Empire. With practice, you can get sound out of them and play them, so as a cheap (in price and quality) learning tool, they are ok.

Quality-wise and authenticity-wise, not quite. Carrying one in the field will mark you to every other experienced horn player around as a farb. It's true there are a couple of examples surviving from the war similar to them, but usually all brass, not copper/brass mix, so they may not be 100% inauthentic, but pretty close, especially on the Union side without the shortages the Confederacy endured.

Jan (J.H. Berger above) makes the best, most authentic Civil War US Regulation issued bugles, but fortunately for you there are many documented cases of US cavalry "trumpeters" having played these bugles as well, so if you're serious about it, I'd put in my order now.

Halfway both in price and quality between the $7 throwaway India bugle and Jan's state of the art ones are the French "clairons" (pronounced "clay-rone", not "clarry-on"). They are usually in Bb, well made, and much better resemble the US regulation bugle than the India/Paki ones. Tens of thousands have been made over the last 170 years or so, so you can occasionally find them on ebay for as low as $50. But on the field it's still obvious from almost any distance they're not as authentic as Jan's bugles.

Joe Whitney

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bugles & Trumpets.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	223672

Comment

Quoted by Joe Whitney:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

You can have trumpets with no keys and bugles with keys (a.k.a. cornets). Trumpets were traditionally used in the cavalry while bugles were used in the skirmishers/sharpshooters/light infantry and the artillery.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
          Interestingly, the keyed bugle was one of the instruments played by Philadelphia resident Francis Johnson who, in 1822, composed the Philadelphia Firemen's Cotillion, which evolved (much later) into the tune known to many re-enactors as Firemen's Quickstep, and was used as a fund-raising piece for the Fire Department.
          Eric Marten

Comment

Yep, with bells ringing, field bugles in C blaring, and shouts of "Fire. Fire. Fire. Fire." on the chorus!

Joe Whitney

Comment

Working...
            X