Musician's sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musician's sword

Hello everyone. First time post, so I'm starting small!

I would like to know a good source of information on the musician's sword regulated for the U.S. Army and used in the Civil War period. Other than the fact that it was shorter than the 1840 NCO sword, I don't know much else about them. It seems like Ames made a lot of them. I would like to obtain one at some point and I don't know of anywhere that makes a reproduction, so I want to do research on originals. This way I can get a better idea of what I'd be looking at.

Thanks a lot,

John Connors
    SSG John Connors
    122nd Army Band
    Bugler, I Co. 66th O.V.I.
    Alto horn musician, 73rd O.V.I. Regiment Band

Re: Musician's sword

The EOG Union and "The American Sword" both have excellent information on this sword. It was indeed shorter than the NCO and had no knuckle guard.
    I saw one in Gettysburg at a non approved supplier's store marked Ames with no other marks and certainly no "India". $135.00 US. I bought it for my drummer and when he skedaddled gave it to the drummer of the 155th NY.

Erik Simundson
    Erik Simundson

Comment

Thanks Erik! I just purchased the EoG set on Amazon a few days ago and am waiting for it to arrive. I'll be sure to check in there for the sword info and all the other treasures the books hold!
      SSG John Connors
      122nd Army Band

Comment

I have done a bit of looking into the swords and for what you would be paying for a bright shiny new one....an original can be had for not much more. Repro leather will be a must though.
        Jeremiah Boring
        Co. B, 1st USSS

Comment

Hallo!

One of the better quickie overviews or "quick & dirty" references is Harold Peterson's "The American Sword 1775-1945."

About the only differences between the 1840 NCO sword and the musicians' sword was that the MS lacked the double guard and its blade was about four inches shorter. (34 1/2 overall, 28 inch blade 3/4 inch wide at the hilt.
          Its leather scabbard is the same as the nco sword's except for length- the nco at 37 1/2 overall, 31 3/4 blade 7/8 inch wide at the hilt.

Both were part of the 1840 models largely copied/taken from our admiration of the French at the time.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

If you get an original, go for an Emerson & Silver, their NCO and Musicians swords had metal scabbards. They will last and I carry and Emerson and Silver musicians when doing some federal.

They will run, depending on condition between 375-550.00

John Walsh
            John Walsh

"Is a gentleman with a brostache invited to this party?''

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Muswordhilt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	223949Click image for larger version

Name:	Musword.jpg
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	223948Click image for larger version

Name:	mussword2hilt.jpg
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	223950Here are some pictures of a C. Roby.
              Jim Mayo
              Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

John and Jim,

Thanks for the information on other manufacturers! I liked learning that some of them made the swords with metal scabbards...that sounds like something for me if I decide to get one. Now I know what to look out for! Curt, thanks for the tip (no pun intended) on the sword book...it sounds like a wonderful resource that I'll have to read sometime soon.
                SSG John Connors
                122nd Army Band

Comment

If you're wanting a repro, I have one that I'd let go pretty cheap. Bought it back when I was a young buck, it's sat happily in the back of the closet for... oh, about a decade now.
                  Eugene Yeo
                  “I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.” - Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax"

Comment

Eugene,

Would you be able to email me at johnconn@roadrunner.com with pictures of your sword and also how much you might be looking to get out of it? Thanks!

John
                    SSG John Connors
                    122nd Army Band

Comment

Working...
                    X