• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying Everything but a Tune - By Tyler Underwood

CARRYING EVERYTHING BUT A TUNE
    By Tyler Underwood
    Edited by Kathleen Underwood ©

Over the past twenty years I have noticed that the one thing that almost every reenactor seems to forget is the importance of music during the American Civil War. As authentic-minded reenactors we often times find ourselves focusing on the material aspects of our impressions; having the right jacket, accouterments, to how we wear our gear - no matter how little we carry we always have room for a tune. Everyone has their favorite CD with period music that we sing along to while going to an event. When we arrive, the music stops just as fast as it takes to get the key out of the ignition; doing this leaves a crucial part of a soldier’s daily life behind. We need to leave all of our reservations about signing behind and do our ancestors some justice; the good news is the original cast was not professional singers, so your voice is just fine.

Early Americans and Africans during the 17th and 18th century brought their favorite tunes to America with them for the same reason that soldiers took their favorite songs to war – it takes no space to carry a tune. Prior to the war music was making a transformation, the songs from our early ancestors were blended to form a very unique sound which can still be heard today in the traditional music of America’s Appalachian region. Another form of music that gained tremendous popularity was the minstrel tune; this was considered to be a blend of African and Irish music. The era of minstrel music started in New York City in 1828 with a black face performance by Thomas Dartmouth "Daddy" Rice - the "father of American minstrelsy". Over the next 33 years that lead up to the war this style of music had a significant impact upon society; not only from the moral aspect for those in the anti-slavery movement but for the pro-slavery movement as well. One of the most well-known composers of the period was Stephen Foster, his first song “Oh Susanna” was published in 1848, and for the next 16 years until his death in 1864 he composed 200 songs. 135 of those songs were sentimental parlor songs that proved to be popular for all classes of society. At the start of the war many soldiers both north and south brought with them these minstrel songs written by composers such as Foster.

Religion was a driving force of morality for both sides, popular hymns became another widely heard source of music. Tract societies often gathered popular hymns of various denominations and compiled them in pocket sized booklets which were issued to the soldiers. Some of the most common hymn books were: The Army Hymn book, 191 popular hymns issued by the Richmond Presbyterian Committee. The Second edition of The Soldiers Hymn Book published by the South Carolina Tract Society, contained 271 favorite hymns; and Hymns for the Camp, 151 songs published by an unidentified company. Among the various songs of the spiritual nature it was common place to find the occasional patriotic song as well. In The Soldiers Hymn Book there were printed five sets of lyrics to the tune of “America”, one particular stanza “Land of the pilgrim’s pride” was cleverly changed to “Land of the southern’s pride.” Another popular rewritten song was found among the hymns and was set to the tune of “God Save the King”:

“Our loved Confederacy,
    May God remember thee
    And warfare stay;
    May he lift up his hand
    And smite the oppressor’s hand
    While our true patriots stand
    With bravery.”

Perhaps Robert E. lee said it best “Without music there would be no army.” Music could boost the morale of the army while they marched to the front, it could also just as easily lower it. This lowered moral was seen in the Army of the Potomac during the winter of ‘62-’63 where Federal officers forbid the bands from playing and the men singing “Home Sweet Home”. They feared it would have a gloomy effect on young men so far from home. R.J. Lightsey of Company F 16th Mississippi wrote of his experience while on picket duty along the Rappahannock. “A few days after the battle, we were sent out on picket duty, just above Fredericksburg, on the river. While there, late on evening, our band was playing "Dixie" and the Federals were playing "Yankee Doodle". When the bands finished the airs, the Yankees struck up "Home, Sweet Home." Our band too up the strain, and when the bands quit playing, "voice after voice caught up the song, and as far as we could hear on both sides, they were singing "Home, Sweet Home." Another account from a letter written in January 1863 by Lt. W.J. Kincheloe of the 49th Virginia to his father described a rather amusing scene along the Rappahannock. “We are on one side of the Rappahannock, the enemy on the other. Our boys will sing a southern song, the Yankees will reply by singing the same tune to Yankee words.

Overall the sweet harmony of a familiar tune was a way to let the mind drift and escape from the monotony of camp life or a long march. It was also a way to bring something from home that took no more space than one’s own mind to carry it. These familiar tunes could be enjoyed time and time again, bringing comrades closer just as it had with friends and family from home. Southern soldiers sometimes had at their disposal various song books, among the various titles were, Hopkins New Orleans 5c Song Book, published in New Orleans in 1861, Songs of the South (Richmond, 1863) and the Beauregard Songster (Macon and Savannah, 1864). The love for music wasn’t just found in the Confederate ranks, Federal soldiers also had a fondness of song to alleviate their minds from the monotonous day to day life, and even being a prisoner of war. The latter was the case for Col. James L. Geddes, of the 8th Iowa Infantry. While imprisoned in Selma, Alabama (1862-1863) he put pen to paper and drafted the rather defiant lyrics of a song he titled The Bonnie Blue Flag with Stripes and Stars:

We’re fighting for our Union, we’re fighting for our trust,
    We’re fighting for that happy land where sleeps our fathers dust.
    It cannot be dissevered, though it cost us bloody wars.
    We never can give up the land that float the stripes and stars.

Chorus:

Hurrah! Hurrah! For equal rights hurrah!
    Hurrah for the brave old flag that bears the stripes and stars.

We treated you as brothers until you drew the sword,
    With impious hands at Sumter you cut the silver cord,
    So now you hear our bugles; we come the sons of Mars,
    We rally round that brave old flag which bears the stripes and stars.

Chorus:

We do not want your cotton, we care not for your slaves,
    But rather than divide this land, we’ll fill your southern graves.
    With Lincoln as our chieftain, we’ll wear our country’s scars,
    We rally round that brave old flag that bears the stripes and stars!

Chorus:

We deem our cause most holy, we know we’re in the right,
    And twenty millions of freemen stand ready for the fight.
    Our bride is fair Columbia, no stain her beauty mars.
    O’er her we’ll raise that brave old flag that bears the stripes and stars.

Chorus:

And when this war is over, we’ll each resume our home
    And treat you still as brothers where ever you may roam.
    We’ll pledge the hand of friendship, and think no more of wars,
    But dwell in peace beneath the flag that bears the stripes and stars!

Another popular parody that was created during the war was Hard Crackers. The story goes that the several days leading up to the Battle of Wilsons Creek (August 10, 1861) the men of the 1st Iowa were being issued unusually large quantities of hard crackers. In an effort to make light of their culinary woes, one member of the regiment penned the lyrics to Stephen Fosters’ Hard Times. Just like their enemies in gray, Federal soldiers also enjoyed uplifting parody songs to swell their hearts with patriotism. Among these songs were popular titles such as; Cheer Boys, Cheer (1852-1859?), Battle Hymn of the Republic (1862), the Battle Cry of Freedom (1862), and Always Stand on the Side of the Union (1863).

Unfortunately most Federal re-enactors only know the partial lyrics to two patriotic songs: Battle Hymn of the Republic and Battle Cry of Freedom. This would be great except for the fact that it would not be appropriate for any event prior to 1862. While the rest of their musical capacity is filled with many overdone Irish songs like Garry Owen and post-war tunes such as marching through Georgia. The same can also be said for Confederate re-enactors who may only know a portion of Dixie or the Bonnie Blue Flag.

If we are to fully represent the boys of ‘61 then as authentic minded re-enactors/living historians we have to focus more on the non-material culture of our period. This means digging a little deeper to understand the lives that they had before the commencement of hostilities. Increasing your knowledge requires little to no expense and will provide hours of entertainment for you and your comrades. The next time you find yourself bivouacked with your mess mates, don’t be afraid to strike up a tune that you have been carrying all these years.

SOURCES:

Marvel, William
    nps.gov
    http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/civil_war_series/3/sec2.htm
    McClatchy, Debby

Appalachian Traditional Music
    http://www.mustrad.org.uk/articles/appalach.htm
    Hampson, Thomas

I Hear America Singing
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ihas/composer/foster.html
    Padgett, Kenneth

Blackface! - The History of Racist Blackface Stereotypes
    http://black-face.com/minstrel-shows.htm
    Payne, Diane

The Veteran’s Story This material is based on the memoirs of R. J. Lightsey as told to his daughter, Ada Christine Lightsey, and published by her in 1899.
    http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~msjasper/military/grays.html
    Wiley, B. I.

The Life of Johnny Reb
    Louisiana State University Press
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Stern, P.

Soldier Life in the Union and Confederate Armies
    Gramercy Books, A division of Random House Value Publishing
    New York, New York
    Glass, P., Singer, C. L.

Singing Soldiers, a History of the Civil War in Song
    De Capo Press, Inc.
    New York, New York
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Carrying Everything but a Tune - By Tyler Underwood

I am hoping to build a little discussion on this article and would like to know how important was music to the moral of the 10th Iowa?

So I am curious to know that who, after mile six or seven was inspired to lift their heads and feel the tremendous pride when the fife and drums began to play on the march into Bentonville?

How about Saturday night when everyone was dog tired, but still gathered around to listen and sing along with the Camptown Shakers? Who remembers the tune for “Logan and the Fifteenth Army Corps” A parody to Kingdom Coming right?

How important was the music to our morale?

It no doubt had a tremendous influence on the 10th Iowa at Bentonville in one weekend. Now think about that impact over a four year period and how if kept the original cast motivated to get the job done.
    Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 03-24-2015, 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I offer the following passage on the importance of music to the troops:

“We had not gone far when the lines began to lengthen. Not a word was spoken. Even walk Fish was serene and quiet. Men would get mad if someone else came in his way. It is in such trying times that the true character of a person reveals itself. I was thinking about this and how in the Prussian Army under similar circumstances the drummers and fifers had to play once in a while to ‘grease the joints’ as we used to say and how effective it always was. I wondered why they could not do that here and on a sudden impulse shouted: “Drummer and fifers to the front’! But none came. They had betaken themselves to the wagons. But all at once the 24th Ill. Music Band struck up a march. A deefening jell arose from the ranks; Like as by magic them men took [step] and to all appearances stepped as easy as on the parade ground.”—Memoirs Of A Dutch Mudsill, Gould and Kennedy, eds; Kent State University Press, 2004, pp. 58.

I marched up front with our musicians and we talked about different tunes and how they correlated to the pace of marching. It is testament to their professionalism that they had "set pieces"--my quotes--to play for each iteration they conducted, and they NEVER ran out of music. When morale started to flag or people were just seeming to get worn down after coming up a hill, etc. or the ranks got quiet, I would have the musicans strike up tunes to pull everyone along. They performed magnificently!

On our final leg into the event, they saved the best for last and with a lound cheer of "Give it to 'em, boys!!" by our bugler, Greg Bochniak, they played even harder and better, if it was possible! The men of the 10th Iowa's chests went out, heads were held high, and the measured tread of 300 men could be heard ahead of our arrival with our fantastic musicians in the lead. When we came down the hill and around the final bend in the road, the sight of so many people gawking and running to the sides of the road to see us enter the event was amazing. Guy Musgrove, Mike Jones and yourself cleared the road ahead on horseback and the colors waved in the breeze. What a sight!

As to evening entertainment, another quote from the above book is worth examining (I am paraphrasing a bit) "The 79th had a [string] troop in their Regt...and armed with fiddle, banjo and bones and being good singers they performed as fine a [show] as I have ever seen traveling afterward." ibid, 37.

The Shaker's were simply amazing! In fact, Saturday night was unreal. The candles, campfires, and singing and carousing in various parts of the camp was fantastic!

We just might have captured some of the above vignettes. I know the singing on the march was heard across the countryside. Well done!
      Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 03-24-2015, 12:07 PM.
      Ivan Ingraham
      AC Moderator

Comment

Friday night was cold and I slept about two hours. My son woke up part way through the night cold, so I situated him by the fire with both blankets. As a result, I could feel myself falling asleep during the march... while walking! So, yes, the music helped!

My challenge to folks: Learn the songs!

I started the hobby in the Bobby Horton era (v1.0, aka - Casette Tapes). I used to listen to those tunes over and over to learn them. I would sing them in the car (alone!) on commute or road trip. As time passed, I got the Allendale Melodians' CD and found Carl Anderton's YouTube channel.

As a parent, those songs are great for kids (politically correct ones, of course). My son and I have watched Carl Anderton and Kyle Pretzl enough that, when my son met Kyle last month, he was as awestruck as he'd have been to meet one of the stars of the Avengers movies.
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Camptown Shakers here. Renny and I, joined by Scott Sheets on bones, had a great time playing in your camp on Saturday night at Bentonville. It was a memorable night for us. Having so many singing along, and then singing their own songs when we were taking a break was something I will never forget and we felt lucky to be a part of it. Dave Culgan, banjoist with the Camptown Shakers.

Comment

I have to say getting to play bones with the Shakers Saturday night was the highlight of the event (possibly reenacting career) for me. I've listened to them for a long time, their recordings have influenced my playing and the playing style of my group The Sons Of Temperance. It was nice to pick Renny's brain on fiddling as I am working on adding that instrument to my arsenal. So thanks again Shakers.

The field music was likewise outstanding. I noticed several times throughout the march that when they would strike up the men would perk up a bit. Shoulders would square and feet would come to time with the music. The last bit of the march in column of platoons just sounded amazing to my ears. The music was playing and there was a steady tramp in time as we approached the visitors center. So yes, the music definitely had a huge impact.
            Scott Sheets
            Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
            Dirty Shirts

Comment

Marching beside Matt Lakin in Co. B, early on in the march he asked if I knew a certain tune. My answer was "No." So, he recited the chorus to me and I joined in at that point. He then asked about another one. Again my answer was "No," and again, he shared the chorus and I joined in. He then asked me to pick a song. sadly, the only thing that came to mind, after spending years listening to Bobby Horton, was "Battle Cry of Freedom." So, we sang it. It hit me that as much as I like the music of our era, and as much of my life singing( to myself!) and listening to modern music, that this was one part of the mid 1800's I hadn't paid much attention to learning. Music was so much a part of the soldiers lives and a way to relax and reflect on their situation. Its time to start learning and singing the songs of the men of both sides!

George Royal
              1st Florida Infantry Co. D "Walton Guards"
              3rd US Infantry Co. C

Comment

I credit music with keeping morale up this past weekend at Sailors Creek. Everyone was cold and wet all weekend. Friday evening a large group of us started singing. We had two companies going back and forth leading songs. By the end over half of the brigade was either participating or gathered around listening. There is no doubt this raised the spirits despite standing in the cold wind and rain. Saturday marching through the snow and wind songs were heard throughout the battalion, undoubtedly keeping everyone's minds off of how cold they were.
                Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
                SCAR

Comment

Music certainly goes a long way to help you "embrace the suck" at an event!

Saw a post by The Herb comparing marching at Sailors Creek to the march out of Piney Woods. Dang! Bully for you boys! It looks like you had a grand time, despite the weather.
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I will provide a full review of War as Viewed from the Ranks, once I am done. I felt obliged to share a wonderful account of music directly contributing to the morale of the army. While on the march in the valley; William Keesey recalled the following.

"Our line became woefully elongated. When some of the strongest and more resolute first got into camp the weaker ones were strung all the way back for four miles. Some gave out and laid down to rest, if not to perish. The band was ordered out a few miles, and struck up :

"Away down south in the land of cotton, Cinnamon seeds and sandy bottom."

Men who were all played out would now start up with elastic step and make good time into camp. It is astonishing how a little music would throw new life into men. A little rest in camp soon healed all the aches of that march."
                    Tyler Underwood
                    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                    X