Drum slings and sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum slings and sticks

Who makes the most authentic snare drum slings. What are the sizes and material of CW era drum sticks?

Jppard
    J. Michael Perry

Re: Drum slings and sticks

While the question's answers are subjective, I have been very happy with the sling Nick Duvall made for me. Great pattern and construction, sized to the drummer.

Will Chappell, who can be contacted through this site, makes excellent drum sticks, though I am not sure of his current stock or availability. Top notch pattern (copied from an original pair), construction (I don't have them in front of me, the length is correct), weight (unsure of exact gram measurement, but they are hefty), and materials (cocobollo in this case).

Hope this helps. I will snap a few photos tonight and post them for illustration.
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Comment

I have several pairs of sticks available for sale. I don't make them myself, but they are copied from antique rosewood drumsticks I own (they are probably from the 1800s, it is nearly impossible to pinpoint the age of sticks exactly) and made of East Indian Rosewood, Honduras Rosewood, Mexican ebony, and Cocobolo. Weight ranges from about 100 grams each stick to about 130 grams, depending on the pair.

I had Don Smith make several slings a few years ago. I have one left I can sell. Nick Duvall's are good too.

Originally posted by Ambrose Bierce View Post
      While the question's answers are subjective, I have been very happy with the sling Nick Duvall made for me. Great pattern and construction, sized to the drummer.

Will Chappell, who can be contacted through this site, makes excellent drum sticks, though I am not sure of his current stock or availability. Top notch pattern (copied from an original pair), construction (I don't have them in front of me, the length is correct), weight (unsure of exact gram measurement, but they are hefty), and materials (cocobollo in this case).

Hope this helps. I will snap a few photos tonight and post them for illustration.
      Will Chappell

Comment

Photo of sticks:Click image for larger version

Name:	sticks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	470.6 KB
ID:	224352

From right to left, sticks #1, 2, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 are antiques. The rest are repros
        Will Chappell

Comment

Do you have a photo of the Don Smith sling? Is there a difference between the rosewood and cocobolo sticks?

Jppard
          J. Michael Perry

Comment

I obtained two pairs of drum sticks from Will Chappell a few months ago. They are the best reproductions I have come across and strongly recommend them. Apart from the historical accuracy, they are just great to play with and make a very clear stick tap.
            Raymond Rammeloo

Comment

Cocobolo is a heavy (and expensive) rosewood. Period sources refer to "cocoawood" but that is a completely different species. Cocobolo is much heavier than east indian. Might be lighter or heavier than honduran.

There are many other rosewoods and other exotic heavy woods. It is hard to tell what "rosewood" "cocoawood" and "ebony" referred to exactly when those terms were used 150 years ago. But generally they were heavy dark woods

Same stick pattern from the same type of wood could weigh more or less due to natural variation in density. That is why i order in bulk and match by weight.

Of course, thickness, taper, and length all affect the balance and weight.

The cocobolo sticks are around 60/pair. The others rosewoods are 50.
              Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 06-26-2014, 05:54 AM.
              Will Chappell

Comment

Thanks, I will get a pair when the drum is ready.

jppard
                J. Michael Perry

Comment

To add to the question. Where would I find a sling for a single hook bass drum? I have been looking but really would like to purchase once and for all.
                  Thanks in advance.

Greg Bochniak
                  Musicians Mess
                  Gregory J. Bochniak
                  "A buglers work is never done"

Comment

Working...
                  X