Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding a good snare drum

Gentlemen,
    I have attempted to use the search engine for this question, but I cannot find anything very recent on the subject matter of finding a decent snare drum. I played percussion in school band from 5th grade through my junior year of high school (my teacher and I had a bit of a falling out at the beginning of my senior year). I did not stop playing, however, playing drums in a country western band at our local Legion club until our guitarist died a couple years ago (an unfortunate side effect of playing with guys in their 80s).

I am in the market for a good snare drum, not so much for full blown battle reenactments, but more for our spring muster events at one of the historical parks here in Nebraska. It would do us all some good to have some simple marching beats to get new guys in the habit. As my impression and knowledge progressed, I might try doing a battle reenactment.

So, to make a long story slightly shorter, are there suggestion for where to get a good drum. I know past threads have suggested Cooperman, Florence, or Carroll, but there have been concerns with all of those makers. I know Carroll seems to be the one most suggested for accuracy in manufacture, but someone raised concerns about the durability of his shells and hoops while adding that Mr. Carroll may have corrected these problems in more recent years.

I am pretty much starting from scratch on this and need any help I can get. I wouldn't want a paint job as we do both Federal and Confederate impressions, so I am thinking more along the lines of just a simple tack pattern at most. The best size appears to be 16" x 16"? Who is the best maker of drum sticks?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Jarrett Willet

Jarrett Willet

Re: Help finding a good snare drum

Jarrett, google "Jim Smith, the Yankee Drummer." He doesn't sell drums but he is very much in the know about what's appropriate and where drums might be available in various price ranges. There are many plenty excellent drummers on this site (such as the enactor from Alabama I'm thinking) who also should be able to give you consul re sources of proper sticks and drums. If you're at Prospect Hill this morning for the headstone dedication, let's chat.
    Cheers,
    Paul Hadley

Will Chappell is the lad's name who makes progressive sticks. There are threads on this site re proper snares, slings, banishment of modern parts and so forth. Happy searching.
    Last edited by FlatLandFed; 09-06-2014, 05:36 AM. Reason: Quick search of site ...
    Paul Hadley

Comment

I've attached a photo of 3 drums. From left to right: restored original (cut down from 16x14 to 16x10.5 when I got it), 16x12 steam bent ash shell I made, and 16 x 14 steam bent ash shell I made. The original is for sale. The 16x12 and 16x14 are sold, but I can make more just like them. These are the eighth and ninth steam bent shells I've made. I should be caught up on orders by the end of the year. Photos of other drums I've made can be found at drumandfife.blogspot.com

16x11, 16x12, 16x13 ash or maple steam bent shells were commonly made during the period. I would not recommend a 16x16. That is a modern floor tom size and really isn't based on original drum sizes. There is an original 18th century British drum at the West Point museum that has a 16 3/4" x 15 3/8" shell.

I don't make sticks but sell them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drums3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	531.4 KB
ID:	224413
      Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 09-06-2014, 07:52 AM.
      Will Chappell

Comment

Paul, Thanks for the guidance. Sorry I wasn't at the dedication on Saturday, I'm back in school in Missouri and in thesis-prep stage, so time is not as available as I would like. Hopefully I will see you down the road.

Mr. Chappell, thank you for the reply. I think I came across your blog link in earlier searches and you do some beautiful work. I will send you a Private Message and get some more information, if you would be so kind.

Is there any reading on period drums anyone could suggest that would be helpful while acquiring proper equipment? Personally I would prefer emphasis on Western and Trans-Mississippi gear, if there were any regional variances to be concerned with.(?)

Thank you both,
        Jarrett Willet

Jarrett Willet

Comment

Ellis Mirsky's field drums blog:

George Carroll's American Drums of War:
          ropedrum@hotmail.com

Elrod and Garafolo:

Will Chappell

Comment

Price lowered on this restored original drum to $500

Will Chappell
            libertyhalldrumcorps@gmail.com
            Will Chappell

Comment

Having just finished a drum shell that Will Chappell made for me, I wanted to publicly commend his work.

He makes his own shells, hoops, and uses the best materials for ropes, ears, and snares. He essentially made me a kit to finish on my own and assisted with tips and guidance as I went along. The results were excellent and you can see the finished shell in the Musician's section of the www.bentonvillemarch.com/impression/ and on this forum in the Bentonville folder under the Musician's thread. He also sells the best CW drumsticks for weight and materials out there, in my opinion.

You can't go wrong working with Will. His attention to detail, customer service, and friendly advice make purchasing from him a great experience. He is a first-rate musician, too, and that lends for a level of expertise seldom seen.

Thanks again, Will!
              Ivan Ingraham
              AC Moderator

Comment

Working...
              X