Help in choosing a fife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in choosing a fife.

If you are a fifer, which fife do you like/play,and why?

Also, in going for my first fife, beyond the black plastic, I was looking at the WD Sweet STEALTH model or the BeAFifer MODEL F.

If you have tried both are either of these in particular, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
    Michael Sumners
    Michael Summers

Re: Help in choosing a fife.

Michael,

I played the fife for a bit and found the one from BeAFifer to be adequate as an upgrade and for ease of learning. If you really get into playing you can spend high-dollar on a really nice fife, so this is a pretty good way to go if you are starting out and looking to progress in your musicianship.

The advantage of that fife is that it is keyed in the one of the most commonly played keys and will allow you to jam with musicians and generally sound decent together. True, there are other keys for various fifes and some groups play specific kinds of fifes that are keyed the same for consistency, but just starting out this probably isn't that big a concern.

I have not played the other model you mention.

Enjoy! It is a loud instrument and a lot of fun.
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Comment

Re: Help in choosing a fife.

Originally posted by MichaelRS View Post
      If you are a fifer, which fife do you like/play,and why?

Also, in going for my first fife, beyond the black plastic, I was looking at the WD Sweet STEALTH model or the BeAFifer MODEL F.

If you have tried both are either of these in particular, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
      Michael Sumners
      The black plastic fife from Ed Boyle(beafifer) is fine for getting started at home. If after getting started you want to continue, the only correct reproductions are made by Ron Peeler, the Firth and Pond with same size finger holes or Ron's Ditson copy. The model F and Cloos Crosby, anything made by Walt Sweet or Cooperman are post war designs and not historically accurate.
      Will Chappell

Comment

Working...
      X