Minstrel Music CDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minstrel Music CDs

I am just getting into CW period minstrel banjo and am interested in acquiring some good music recordings. I am interested in hearing and learning from music with the authentic stroke and lyrics of the period.

I have a couple Dr. Horsehair CDs already. I am considering purchasing the Canebrake Minstrels CD on CDbaby.com. Good? Also, I have heard the Allendale Melodians and am interested in their CD(s).

If anyone has any advice on the here fore mentioned recordings, or any other info or recommendations for other minstrel music recordings, I'd love to hear it.

Thank you kindly,

Re: Minstrel Music CDs

Bryan,
    you might want to check out the "Free and Accepted Minstrels of Old New Orleans". They are an excellent group and play the songs closer to the originals than most other groups. They have a new CD entitled "Ethiopian Songs and Serenades". You should enjoy it. Be forewarned however, none of the songs were "cleaned up" for a modern P.C. audience. If you don't want to hear the "N" word in a period context don't by this CD. Like I said, it's true to the original. Good Luck,
    Charles Winchester
    Critter Coy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Winchester
      Bryan,
      you might want to check out the "Free and Accepted Minstrels of Old New Orleans". They are an excellent group and play the songs closer to the originals than most other groups. They have a new CD entitled "Ethiopian Songs and Serenades". You should enjoy it. Be forewarned however, none of the songs were "cleaned up" for a modern P.C. audience. If you don't want to hear the "N" word in a period context don't by this CD. Like I said, it's true to the original. Good Luck,
      Charles Winchester
      Critter Coy.

Charles
      Where can you get there stuff? I tried a couple of search engines and have had no luck.

Gil Howard
      LazyJacks Mess

Comment

Gil,
        e-mail: minstrel@danpartner.com He can tell you how to order.
        Charles Winchester,
        Critters

Comment

Bryan,
          You may also want to check out the 2nd South Carolina String Bands' "In High Cotton." It is the music of the pre-Civil War deep south, mainly songs from the Mississippi River region. It has minstrel tunes, camp songs, etc... It is a great CD, by one of the more authentic groups, and they can sing great too! They did the CS version of the "USO" style show in "Gods and Generals." Many groups do not use authentic instruments, they do. Any of their CDs are great. I highly recomend them.
          Bryan Stefancyk
          Split Rail Fence Boys
          [FONT=Book Antiqua][B][SIZE=5][COLOR=DarkRed]Bryan Stefancyk[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

I would glady vouch for the Canebrake Minstrels - as soon as I got "Finer than Frog's Hair" it quickly became one of my favorites. I also enjoy the Camptown Shakers. I was lucky enough to get a recording from the Amoskeag Players which, to me, has an authentic feel to it but I do not think they have a cd in regular distribution at the moment. If they do, my recommendation is that you get it. I'm looking forward to getting a copy of the Gumspring Serenaders cd. I have corresponded with their banjo player, Carl Anderton (nickname on these boards is "Old Cremona") who is an awfully nice guy and a talented musician.
            John Peterson

Comment

Yeah, I agree... The Canbrake Minstrels "Finer than Frog Hair" is pretty good... I listen to it all the time.

I would like to buy more though... I heard Ed Sims has a killer minstrel CD out there... Heard he's the best too... Is this true? Anybody know?

Thanks,
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
              Cincinnati

Comment

I second the recommendation of the 2nd South Carolina. Their CD "Southern Soldier" is great.
                Thanks
                Johnny Pullen
                Johnny Pullen
                Possum Skinners Mess
                Armory Guards
                WIG

"Mr. Davis tried to do what God failed to do. He tried to make a soldier of Braxton Bragg."
                General Joe Johnston

Comment

In my opinion, you should start with all of Joe Ayers tapes including "Early Banjo Classics" volumes 1 thru 4. Also, the Joe Ayers tapes "Old Dan Tucker" and "Banjo, Bones & Boatmen".

Bob Kilham's group "The Amoskeag Players" are great!!! They have a tape called "Minstrels of Great Renown" and a CD called "The Peculiar Institution".

The "New World Records" CD, "The Early Minstrel Show" is really hot!

My friends Ed Sims and Daniel Partner of the "Free and Accepted Minstrels of Old New Orleans" have a dandy CD that will also help you alot.

Clarke Buehling is a wonderful banjo player. Try his tape "Clarke Buehling - Out of His Gourd" It is gourd banjo instrumentals and songs.

You might want to get some minstrel music banjo books too. Centerstream Publishing has just finished it's third book by Joe Weidlich. I got my copy in the mail today. It is called "The Early Minstrel Banjo - technique and repertoire by Joe Weidlich.

Best regards,
                  Chris Ownby

Comment

Chris,

Thanks a bunch... I need to check out those CD's... Can't get enough minstrel music...

Hog-Eye Man
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                    Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by El Dorado
                      You might want to get some minstrel music banjo books too. Centerstream Publishing has just finished it's third book by Joe Weidlich. I got my copy in the mail today. It is called "The Early Minstrel Banjo - technique and repertoire by Joe Weidlich.
                      Chris,

How in the world did you get your copy already!? Everybody I've contacted say they haven't come in stock yet. I even tried emailing they folks at Centerstream but never received a reply. How much would you take for it? :D
                      Matt Adair

Comment

I third the 2nd South Carolina String band. I met them at an event a little while back, greaty bunch of guys.
                        [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"]Matt Reardon[/FONT][/SIZE]
                        [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]"River Rat Mess"[/FONT]
                        8th Connecticut Volunteers

[B]Executive Director
                        New England Civil War Museum
                        Rockville, Connecticut
                        [url]www.newenglandcivilwarmuseum.com[/url][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by mladair
                          Chris,

How in the world did you get your copy already!? Everybody I've contacted say they haven't come in stock yet. I even tried emailing they folks at Centerstream but never received a reply. How much would you take for it? :D

Matt,

I just kept e-mailing Ron Middlebrook at Centerstream asking him when the book would be ready. I have the first copy in California. It is a really great book!!! It has alot more information in it than any other minstrel tab book that I have ever seen. This is the Table of Contents..............

Chapter I A short history of the banjo in the United States to 1865

Chapter II Summary of the Idiomatic Minstrel Banjo Techniques

Chapter II Gumbo Chaff's Complete Preceptor for the Banjo

Chapter IV Thomas F. Briggs Banjo Instructor

Chapter V Phil. Rice's Correct Method for the Banjo with or without a Master

Chapter VI Abridged New Edition of [Elias] Howe's New American Banjo School

Chapter VII James Buckley's New Banjo Book

Chapter VIII Frank Converse's Banjo Instructor, with or without a Master

Chapter IX Frank Converse's New and Complete Method for the Banjo with or without a Master

Chapter X Minstrel Banjo Arranging 101

Minstrel Banjo Repertoire Selections: Song List

Appendix I Minstrel Song Cross Reference Index 1851-1865

Appendix II 1. Information on the American Banjo Society
                          2. Strings
                          3. The Standard Pitch
                          4. The Virginia Reels of George P. Knauff
                          5. New Information on James Buckley's New Banjo Book

Epilogue

I would imagine that you are drooling by now. E-mail Ron at Centerstream again. He is at centerstrm@aol.com or P/F (714) 779-9390

Good Luck,
                          Chris Ownby

Comment

Check this site out

欢迎访问茄子视频APP懂你更多-ios苏州晶体公司安卓,茄子视频懂你的更多www.茄子视频,茄子视频APP下载是一款火爆网络的手机影视APP。提供ios苹果下载/安卓下载。茄子视频懂你很多,茄子视频黄色下载片源丰富,让你高潮迭起,欲罢不能!

It is the webpage for Martin Liebschner, who uses original instruments in all his recordings. I heard him a few years back at Gettysburg, and he is great. If you saw "Ride with the Devil," he's the one playing and singing 'Old King Crow' during the one camp scene (if you didn't see the movie, I recommend that too).

Rob Weber
                            3d Alabama
                            Rob Weber
                            3d Alabama

When the blast of war blows in your ears, then shall ye good men imitate the actions of the tiger!!! Stiffen thy sinews, summon up thy blood, disguise thy fair nature with hard favored RAGE!!! -- William Shakespeare, Henry V, Act 3, sc. 1

Comment

The most important of all minstrel style recordings is put out by Rounder Records. It is called Minstrel Banjo Style. It features the best minstrel style players in the country.

You also need to get the Early Minstrel Show on News World Records. It was put out by Robert Wynans in 1984 and features all original instruments. It was re-released by New World a few years ago.

No collection is complete without these.
                              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]George Wunderlich
                              Executive Director
                              National Museum of Civil War Medicine and
                              The Letterman Institute [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X