musician hats and insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• musician hats and insignia

I am setting my son up as a Federal fifer! I have seen the musician patches for sale at various events, but I don't have any information on what type of hats they wore and where on the hat the musician patch would be sewn. Does anyone have any images or other data?

John Scott
    John Scott

Re: musician hats and insignia

It seems like a really simple question, but it's not very easy to answer. Short answer is it depends. The best thing to do is try to find some information on your unit's uniform. There are variations between regulars and volunteers, western vs eastern vs Trans-Mississippi, etc. Also there are variations by state and even by regiment (ex. zouaves). There are also variations between early and late war.

I would recommend avoiding those patches you see at the sutlers for now unless you find some documented evidence that your unit had it. I would also try to find a unit history somewhere. A starting place would be the War of Rebellion, which is the official records for the entire war. The "working field musician," which your son is representing, would look like the other infantry enlisted men. Figure out what the other guys in your unit are wearing and start with that. It will either be a kepi, forage cap, a hardee hat or a slouch. It will be one of those four. Hope this helps .
    Jonathan Cagle-Mulberg
    Handsome Company Mess
    Liberty Hall Drum Corps
    California Consolidated Drum Band

Comment

Hallo!

As shared, I would also suggest researching the regiment you are portraying for its possible regimental band.

Failing finding any documentation, pulling up CW Period photographs of bands will get you a good "generic" representation of the possibilities.

In brief, and to over generalize...

Many "bandsmen" can be found wearing the uniform of their unit. Some others are found wearing dress coats (which may have been special to them, or just what their unit had anyways). The 1861 U.S. Regulations called for a branch-of-service color coded herringbone trim.
      And last, occasionally one will find bandsmen in more "band-like" uniforms with say herringbone trimmed coats or jackets and shako's.

To a limited extent, for drill, parade, and formations, the M1840 Musicians Sword was authorized and occasionally seen. And sometimes, rarely, teh two piece spoon-and-wreath style musicians belt buckle/plate.

Many if not most CW bandsmen or musicians were men. Of course there are exceptions, like the 8th NY Militia in 1861 that was fond of boy drummers. In some segments of the CW Community non-functional kid "musicians" as they get to have a uniform when they cannot have a musket, and are looked down upon. I would recommend getting into a good program for the fife, or find a good teacher so that your son can play. It will open more and better doors for him.

And as a General Rule, avoid some sutlers who will sell you anything because where there is a demand, there can be a sale to the uninformed and uneducated buyer.

Curt
      Who for a number of years wanted to be an adult drummer Mess
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thank you both so much! My son is actually getting pretty good with that fife!
        John Scott

Comment

John,

One very good source for examples of young musicians in the Union Army is:

"Too Young to Die: Boy Soldiers of the Union Army 1861-1865" by Dennis M. Keesee
          Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Working...
          X